Home Forum Ask A Member Muffs for vintage OMC’s

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member

What style “muffs” were designed to fit the vintage OMC’s like
      my 57 Evinrude 35 hp?
      I’ve searched on site for “muffs” but didn’t come up with any photos.
      I seem to remember seeing a homemade plate with garden hose
      attachment. Anyone have photos of homemade or aftermarket muffs
      to fit these motors?
      I’d like to test run this motor but getting a tub of water under it on this
      stand is problematic!
      Thanks.

DSCN9316

Prepare to be boarded!

oldlure
      Participant

US Member

I believe Tempo Marine Products may have made one back in the day but I have only seen homemade ones.

dave-bernard
        Participant

US Member

tempo made 2 types one replaced the side cover and one clipped over the exhaust snout.

outboardnut
          Participant

US Member

I have used the 917 for rd-17 and rds 20

20200630_191224

20200630_191253

Buccaneer
            Participant

US Member

Thanks for the replies. Anyone make their own side plate / garden hose contraption?

Tempo-917-Muffs

Prepare to be boarded!

Steve D
              Participant

Buc, With your skills it should be a piece of cake. I’ve done it a few different ways but you basically just make a plate to fit the water intake, or sacrifice one from a parts motor or an extra in your stock, whatever…tap into it with a fitting, and attach a hose, and garden hose adapter and that’s it. Mercury makes a brass adapter you can adapt to your plate, or use a fitting, a piece of hose, and a cheap plastic garden hose adapter. One of the pictures shows one that a member made but don’t remember who.
                Edit: Pictures didn’t seem to upload properly. Might be duplicates.

Web-hose-flushing-adapters

Garden-hose-swivel-adapter-1

hose-adapter-1

Buccaneer
                Participant

US Member

Steve, excellent! I have lots of ideas now. Thanks!

Prepare to be boarded!

labrador-guy
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Steve, that looks pretty good! What do you do with the pickup behind the prop? Duct tape? I suppose you could put a piece of rubber behind the plate so the water could only go one way. Think I am gonna make one of those puppy’s!

dale

Buccaneer
                    Participant

US Member

Steve, that looks pretty good! What do you do with the pickup behind the prop? Duct tape? I suppose you could put a piece of rubber behind the plate so the water could only go one way. Think I am gonna make one of those puppy’s!

dale

I “think” I was wondering the same thing. There’s the intake screen lower down for the water pump,
                      and if I remember correctly, the passage runs up into the cavity where the little plate is
                      bolted on, and where the garden hose adapter would attach.

Prepare to be boarded!

Steve D
                      Participant

Water does come out of the pickup behind the prop and you could cover it if you wanted to for a more direct flow. I’ve never worried about it too much because there’s still enough pressure from the garden hose, even with the faucet open 1/2 way, to force water up past the impeller to the powerhead. Of course this doesn’t really test the impeller but it still is a good way to test initial running, settings, etc. when you don’t want to use a bucket or like you said Buc, when you have stand limitations or a heavy motor like yours.

water-intake-plate-adapter

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.