Home Forum Ask A Member My First Project

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    wyo307
    Participant

First off I would like to say hello to everyone and introduce myself. My name is Ryan and I hale from the great state of Wyoming. I am a youngster among most of this group at only 24. I am an engineer and love to tinker with things which is what got me into this hobby not to mention that I love water and fishing and all that jazz.

Now on to my project. I recently was given a 1947 evinrude sportsman 2hp. It was my best friends grandfathers and it sat out in the back of an old boat for who knows how long before I stumbled across it. Consequently it is in pretty rough shape (Tank is dented badly, missing the side plates, broken tiller handle, ect.) although it still has good compression. I have ordered some of the missing/ broken parts already but am having a really hard time finding a pull start handle for it. I believe the original number for it was 171369 but I’m not sure.

As I start to tear into this motor I would love any advice that can be offered by anyone with experience with one of these motors. My first order of business is to get spark again, then pull the carb and clean it thoroughly as well as the rest of the fuel system. From there I’m not sure where there.

Anyways thank you in advance for any help and I can wait to hear this old girl fire up again.

chris-p
      Participant

Doug Penn would be a great source for parts. I highly recommend him.

Google his name for his website.

bobprock4200
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Doug’s a great guy and most certainly would have what you need. Also, try the webvertise section of the website as members might have things like tanks and side panels. Also, check the listings of local swap meets (depending what area of the country you’re in). I used to check ebay regularly for parts, but it can be hit and miss and prices there tend to be at a premium. Good Luck, keep us informed of your progress, you’ve certainly come to the right place! I believe Doug’s at penn.itgo.com.

bbstacker1
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Welcome aboard Ryan. Being a relative newcomer myself (just a few years) I can tell you that you have come to the right place to find out the info you are looking for. I don’t think you could find a more helpful bunch than right here

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

http://boatinfo.no/lib/johnson/manuals/ … on.html#/0

good book to read and store on your PC or laptop

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Steve A W
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Wyo307
                here’s a couple of links that would be of interest;
                http://precisionservoutboard.com/about/ … oint-plan/

http://penn.itgo.com/

Good Luck with Your motor, but beware, it’s an addicting hobby!

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
                I live in Northwest Indiana

tom-in-ri
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The low humidity in Wyoming gives you a nice chance to find cool old stuff that isn’t rusted to oblivian. Congrats, where’s the old boat? We get to Lusk every August and always threaten to drive a trailer load of rust free car and truck parts back to the northeast.
                  Looking forward to hearing that you got the engine running.

jeff-register
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Great first project & welcome aboard

wyo307
                    Participant

Thank you all for the help thus far and the kind welcome. I plan on starting in on it tonight so fingers crossed. I have fired off an email to Doug asking about parts as well as picking his brain a bit. We shall see how it goes and I’ll keep you all posted.

Tom the humidity up here is great for old thing laying around not turning into complete rust buckets overnight but it reeks havoc on your skin. This motor sat out in the back of an old wooden boat for a minimum of 15 years and was completely covered in leaves and old fishing line, stringers, etc. and it still doesn’t really have any rust to speak of.

wyo307
                      Participant

Ok well the tear down went well and everything appears to be in better pretty good shape (Not what I was expecting). I have to make a new gasket for the top of the carb which isn’t a big deal. I am missing the piece in the bottom of the carb on the spring side that when the mixture knob is moved all the way to the left pushes up and allows the carb to prime. I’ll have to ask Doug about that. I am also missing the pin for the prop (there was a homemade job in it). However the thing that concerns me the most is the plate between the two pieces of the impeller is loose. Is there supposed to be a bushing in the middle of this plate to allow it to be more secure to the drive shaft or is it supposed to be this way? Also when I am done cleaning the carb how am I supposed to set the float on the rod? It is a wood float with a keeper plate on both sides of it so how far up the rod does it need to be? Thanks in advance for the help it has been a fun project so far.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.