Home Forum Ask A Member My "Twins"

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    david-bartlett
    Participant

I just picked up a nice little JW-11. I think it will look great as a kicker beside my RD. I haven’t had a chance to look inside or do a compression check, but it "feels" like plenty of compression by pulling it with the rope. I was hoping for a ’54 to match the RD, but a ’55 is close enough.

mr-asa
      Participant

David, is it wrong that I’m more excited about how you did your magnetic tool tray than the new motor? I like the motor, but I can make one of those tool trays. 😆

cajuncook1
        Participant

Nice looking 1954 RD 25hp! I’m jealous 🙂

Cheers on your wonderful finds!

David T.

20mercman
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

My son recently won a JW-10 in a raffle at the Midwest Chapter meet on March 1st. We have not done anything to it yet, except to clean it up. It looks about the condition of your JW-11. They are nice looking motors.
            Steve

david-bartlett
            Participant
              quote Mr. Asa:

David, is it wrong that I’m more excited about how you did your magnetic tool tray than the new motor? I like the motor, but I can make one of those tool trays. 😆

Evan,

The magnetic tray is very handy. Had some scrap angle iron and a clamp laying around. VOILA! Easy to move around and remove.

david-bartlett
              Participant

OK, I removed the flywheel and found what I expected regarding the coils. No surprise there, however, the rubbing block on each set of points is worn/melted almost flat. It looks as though the oiler wick is completely dry and may not have been lubricated if/when points were ever changed.

Will need to change the points as well as the coils. Too bad as the contact surfaces look good.

Carb is soaking in the tank, waiting for new bowl gasket and boss gasket. Everything else in the carb looks ok to go some more.

Mumbles
                Participant

Hey Dave, why don’t you just replace the coils and caps and polish the points if they look good?

If you finish polishing them with 1000 wet or dry, they might last longer than you or me. By the way, they look like Sierra or some other after market product and I wouldn’t be too concerned about the rubbing block as long as you can still set the gap. The rubbing block is pretty short in the first place.

weedlessdrive
                  Participant

One is bigger than the other!!! 😆 😆 😆

david-bartlett
                    Participant
                      quote Mumbles:

Hey Dave, why don’t you just replace the coils and caps and polish the points if they look good?

If you finish polishing them with 1000 wet or dry, they might last longer than you or me. By the way, they look like Sierra or some other after market product and I wouldn’t be too concerned about the rubbing block as long as you can still set the gap. The rubbing block is pretty short in the first place.

Mumbles,

You may be right. The cam is not worn at all, so with a bit of oil on the wick, I may be good to go with just coils.

david-bartlett
                      Participant

Progress on the JW.

I got some new coils from a club member "OldOutboardJim" and got the mag plate tidied up a bit. Cleaned up the points and oiled the wick and this is what we got!

Compression checks out about 80PSI top and bottom, so I am happy with that.

Here is a video of it running last Friday here in Maine. You will note that my "Shop" area is still a bit on the cool side. Gotta play when you can!
                        Thanks for watching.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.