Home Forum Ask A Member My Seized Johnson A2109

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Greg Lewis
    Participant

I am new to the AOMCI and have a 1922 Johnson outboard (A SN 2109) obtained from my neighbor. His father bought it new and has been sitting for at least 70 maybe 80 years. It is seized. I have the Johnson Repair Parts catalog (PN 13-629) and the 2nd Ed. of the Johnson Outboard Service Manual.There is some slight movement when I move the flywheel and with the muffler removed I can see the pistons move very slightly. Given this, I thought it best to try to check the water pump 1st. I was able to loosen both ends of the 5″ water tube as well as the pump itself. Not sure best way forward. I would greatly appreciate any ideas on the best way to remove the water pump and perhaps unseize the pistons themselves if the pump is not seized. Earlier I tried putting Marvel oil in each of the horizontal cylinders, but it leaked out. The pistons were below the exhaust port. Any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P1100772cm

P1100773cm

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

ARE YOU SURE IT IS THE POWERHEAD SEIZED AND NOT THE LOWER UNIT.

Greg Lewis
        Participant

Not sure. Best guess is the lower unit. What is the best way to remove the lower unit especially the pump. Thanks for your earlier reply.

stanley
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Easiest way to check power head is to remove four screws that hold the power head to the down tube casting.Powerhead will lift off.Having removed powerhead,you can check it by turning flywheel and lower unit by turning prop.To remove the pump,remove the six screws at the bottom of the down tube.Remove the curved support and loosen the pipe fittings.Carefully clamp the casting at the top of the down tube in a vise.Twist the gear case back and forth,by hand,until it frees enough you can pull it off.Then you can remove the pump with out bending the water tube

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by stanley.
            • This reply was modified 4 years ago by stanley.
            Greg Lewis
            Participant

Thank you very much. Great help.

wbeaton
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Nice project. S/N 2109 is early. It definitely deserves restoration. Let us know how you make out.

Wayne
                Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

The Boat House
                Participant

Greg Lewis
                  Participant

Thanks Wayne for your reply. I was able to remove the power unit with considerable effort. Fortunately this power unit is in great shape, compression good everything freed up. Unfortunately, the problem was in the driveshaft casing and water tube assembly, totally rusted out. Looks like the gear case and bearing assembly looks OK. Might there be a source for the driveshaft casing and water tube assembly within AOMCI? I would like to restore this Johnson.

Greg Lewis
                    Participant

Wonderful photos and parts layout. Power head was freed up and is in great shape. My problem is that the driveshaft casing and water tube assembly is rusted through. Now on the search for one. Thanks for the information and photos.

stanley
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Any of the A or A25 models will work.The problem is yours is steel and the later and more plentiful ones are brass.The person I would contact first is Jon Koranda.His contact info is in the AOMCI directory.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.