Home Forum Ask A Member Mystery 1941 Johnson Seahorse

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    opposedtwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

CMB,
      If it were me, I’d get it running. You’d be surprised what that will do for your soul, particularly because of the family connection. Once you get it running, I’m sure it’s ok to run it whenever you like, it’s your motor after all. I would exercise as much if not more care than your grandfather did with it. He probably treated it with respect because he knew the value of a dollar having come of age in the Great Depression. Your motivation to care for it will probably come out of respect for him and for the motor’s provenance.

That Poche family website is the ticket for these older johnsons. This board will be a good supplement as many guys here have done what you’re about to do. Good luck and have fun! Save that box!!
      Scott

lloyd
      Participant

US Member

First and most important. Do not try to run it until you mix up some 16/1 Gas/oil mix. Shame to ruin an excellent original like that one. Take out the spark plugs/ ground them, spin the flywheel and look to see if they have a good blue spark. Best to use some other motor until that one has been thoroughly checked out and serviced. You will almost surely need new Leather Primer Seals and instructions to install them. If so, send $10.00 cash and a self addressed stamped envelope to me Lloyd Lautner 9289 North Long Lake Road, Traverse City ,Michigan 49685. Lots of good info at pochefamily.org/outboard but note that the price there for primer seals is about 10 years old. If you order the primer seals and instructions, you will also get my phone number so you can call me for help with various issues.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        CentMassBass
        Participant

Optwin- thanks I have a electric trolling motor for a lake that cannot have gas motors on. That’s my primary fishing spot.

I just offered a guy for another “newer” Johnson 3hp runs is in great condition as well. Will use this on bigger lakes and a couple rivers.

I am going take my time and restore the hs-20 for use on a couple “clean
          lakes” .

Nothing wrong with having a couple outboard motors to choose from.

CentMassBass
          Participant

Lloyd- Thank you for the information. I will get a letter and SASE out to you promptly.

Quick question- How rare are the hs-20 outboards? Will I be able to find parts for this outboard ic I need them?

lloyd
            Participant

US Member

I wrote a long reply to CentMassBass and answered his questions above, and it was posted yesterday, but for unknown reason it has been deleted. In short, save that nice HS until it has been totally serviced. He can call me and I will help as much as I can. Lloyd 231-929-7479

adam1961
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

That is a nice looking motor. I have been looking for a nice example of one of these for a long time. You got lucky.
                Take care of that one and be sure that it is pumping water for cooling and run at least 16:1 mix in it.

CentMassBass
                Participant

Hey all, kinda screwed up today. I decided to put parts and pieces back to get her while waiting on a few things to come in,

I decided to clean the motor up all was going well until I sprayed the tank…. yep… I sprayed the tank with degreaser/cleaner and poof off came the lettering….

Lol… my wife heard me yelling from the back garage…. oh well the motor shines really nice.. I guess I will have to get new decals as well.

David Bartlett
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hey all, kinda screwed up today. I decided to put parts and pieces back to get her while waiting on a few things to come in,

I decided to clean the motor up all was going well until I sprayed the tank…. yep… I sprayed the tank with degreaser/cleaner and poof off came the lettering….

Lol… my wife heard me yelling from the back garage…. oh well the motor shines really nice.. I guess I will have to get new decals as well.

Well that is too bad! At least you know what NOT to do next time.

David Bartlett
                    Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

CentMassBass
                    Participant

Parts for the ignition system are starting to roll in. I have noticed that it looks like the leads were soldered . Was soldering connections a common practice years ago?

The leads from the coil to the points are soldered should I resolder the leads to the new points?

What gauge wire are the leads, thinking of just replacing the wires from the coils.

What are the thoughts about my idea.

CentMassBass
                      Participant

I started working on removing 1 coil at a time to start with the replacement and reassemble process.

When removing the plug wire from the coil I noticed that the plug wire just dits inside of the coil. Is this correct or is there a way to keep the plug wire inserted in the coil.

All guidance appreciated.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 32 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.