Home Forum Ask A Member Mystery Inboard Twinn Engine?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    fifty20ne
    Participant

US Member

A friend needs help identifying this antique twin cyl inboard eng.
      Anyone know the manufacturer? or the year of production?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Bob

” target=”_blank”>
      ” target=”_blank”>

bill-loveland
      Participant

I don’t recognize it, but I’m no expert.

These guys are: http://www.oldmarineengine.com/discus/m … /3454.html

Mumbles
        Participant

Here’s a couple of similar ones. The first one is a Wilson but I don’t know what the second one is.

Attachments:

eviltwin
          Participant

Ya, some of those old inboards are also works of art from a bygone era. Those pics show the potential for sure.
            I found a link for a site that caters to these beauties much the way this site has a wealth of info about outboards. You could try there as well.
            http://www.oldmarineengine.com

joecb
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Bob, I can’t help with identifying the engine but I recognize the cast iron carburetor, it’s a Zenith for a Model A Ford car. I strongly doubt that it belongs on that motor. Also, the galvanized pipe that it’s attached to sure looks like it’s on the exhaust outlet of the muffler.

Joe B

amuller
              Participant

Interesting item. Would like to see what’s behind the shield on the port side. It seems to have a timer driven by a pair of spur gears, so what’s the purpose of the bevel gears and vertical shaft behind the flywheel? Is there a water pump anywhere?

On looking again maybe that "timer" is a gear pump and the vertical shaft is for a missing timer–as in both restored engines.

Would usually expect a plunger pump on something of this vintage, but…..

bill-loveland
                Participant

The timer is usually in the front, so the bevel gears would be driving the (missing) timer. That’s a rotary water pump at the back, driven by the straight gears – the petcock would be for priming it. I’ve seen many motors like this with the inspection ports on the sides of the crankcase, but I’ve never seen any with covers on the bypass. And I’ve never seen domed copper water jackets like that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.