Home Forum Ask A Member Mystery motor

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    cookie1
    Participant

Think this could be Scott Atwater serial number is 482-210 08 .Anyone have any ideas ? Thanks

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Close, but no cigar. I make it to be a pre-WWII Champion. Predecessor to Scott-Atwater

I’m wondering about that serial number.

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

482 falls between the 481 and 483 Scot Atwater models built in 1948 ? ? ?

frankr
          Participant

482 falls between the 481 and 483 Scot Atwater models built in 1948 ? ? ?

But that ain’t no 1948. That’s why the number looks suspicious to me. It has the 4-bolt head, last used in 1946. And it has the gearcase cap ahead of the prop, used in pre-war years.

cookie1
            Participant

Thanks for your comments , can I get you any more pictures or information that might help ?

Cheers

John

frankr
              Participant

Where did you find that supposed serial number? Can you find the Tillotson number on the carburetor, or the numbers or picture of the magneto?

frankr
                Participant

That thing is bugging me. It has the 1946 S/A exhaust housing, but with water intake holes. The lower unit is pre-war style. I’m suspecting it is something S/A cobbled up right after the war ended, from parts in storage. There was a big rush to get outboard motors back into production. Anybody else know?

cookie1
                  Participant

My apologies , I’ve misread the serial number , it should begin 462 . I went over it with a wire brush and it became clear

frankr
                    Participant

Aha!!! Now we’re getting somewhere. 462 is a 1946 Firestone 3.5hp, made by Scott-Atwater. I was a bit confused because my 1947 Firestone had the newer style lower unit. In fact the whole thing looks considerably different. Posting a picture of the 1947 Firestone 3.5.

1947-Firestone

cookie1
                      Participant

Thanks , that’s interesting . Am I missing a lower cowling ? Doesn’t look right with just the tank .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.