Home Forum Ask A Member mystery motors

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Denyse Reed
    Participant

I have inherited 5 really old outboard motors and I don’t know much about them. I am wondering if you can help me identify what motors I have, their approximate value and how I can go about selling them. I am in northern California. I have attached photos of the motors and some miscellaneous parts.

Thank you for your time.

Denyse Reed

olcah
      Participant

US Member

We have not received the photos.

Denyse Reed
        Participant

Trying again. Here are 4 of them.

motor-1

motor-2

motor-3

motor-4

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Mumbles.
          Denyse Reed
          Participant

Here’s 2 more.

motor-5

motor-parts

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Mumbles.
            olcah
            Participant

US Member

The green one that says Elgin is 1950s to early 1960s and 2-5 HP I think. Value is modest, these were sold by Sears. Maybe range of $20-$50. Others may have different opinions. I can’t identify the older motors. But other members will.

dave-bernard
              Participant

US Member

one is a waterwitch.

Buccaneer
                Participant

US Member

First one looks to be a late 1930’s Champion…… may be good for parts. Maybe a $20 motor.
                  Second one looks like a Sears Water Witch, early 40’s? Kind of rough, but maybe a $40 motor.
                  Not sure on the third one.
                  Fourth one may be a early 40’s Neptune. $40 maybe.

All prices are my opinion. All common motors in MN, may be worth more in California?
                  I would try to sell them all in one lump sum, or trade for something you need.

Prepare to be boarded!

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

Agree on the Champion. The air cooled Elgin is 2hp, made by West Bend (later called Chrysler). One of the few air cooled motors worth a hoot in my not so humble opinion. Actually, they work pretty well.

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

The recoil starter and cup in the last picture does not go with that motor. It is a type commonly used on Clintons.

billw
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It’s very rare indeed, when any old outboard motor in obviously poor cosmetic condition, is worth much of anything. And asking us club members is not the best indicator of value; as we already have engines that are far more interesting than those. So, our values are going to be very, very low, for sure. We don’t try to low-ball. We just don’t need them. Fixing them up and getting them running is purely a labor of love; a money PIT, usually, unlike car restoration. All that being said, if you just want to flip the motors, I would try listing them on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. You’re somewhat likely to find someone who finds them more interesting. I would try doubling our meager price estimates, to have a realistic chance of selling them. Maybe list the Elgin for $100 and see what happens; as that one doesn’t look too bad. Either way, you are definitely not going to retire on the sales.

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.