Home Forum Ask A Member Need A Machinist!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    chris-p
    Participant

Tried to make a tool to drive the wrist pin out of an OMC 35hp piston, but I don’t have a lathe and what I envisioned did not turn out so well on the bench grinder 😉

Has anyone made some, or willing to make some? I would of course be willing to compensate anyone that could. 1 "Step" on the tool is all I need. The large OD to fit through the piston, and smaller OD to fit through the wrist pin.

I have tools for the smaller and larger hp motors, but don’t have one for the 35hp. Perhaps there would be others that would be interested in this tool, and a batch could be made?

I could provide all the measurements if needed.

mr-asa
      Participant

If you don’t get any bites, you could try going to Sears or some such and find an impact socket that fit the OD of the wrist pin. I’ve used them to drive in/out freeze plugs of motors and oil seals.
        One main benefit of this is that it you then have a socket for later.

chris-p
        Participant

I have plenty of things like that that I have been using on the 35s I do. Once you use the proper tool though, hard to go back. You want that step to drive it straight and true. Makes things easier. Need the length as well. Like I said, I have most of the other sizes, just missing one for the 35hp.

Need a larger press as well, but that is a whole other thread. The little 1 ton arbour press isn’t big enough for these pistons, when you add a punch and the piston support rig.

dmbono
          Participant

I will make a driver, but would need the sizes, or else a component set.

frankr
            Participant

US Member

I would have offered, but I probably don’t have a suitable piece of steel rod on hand.

Mumbles
              Participant

Hey Chris, send me the specs and I can put one in the mail for you.

I still owe you one for the seals you sent me!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.