Home Forum Ask A Member Need help getting Buccaneer 5hp to develop full power

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    seahuntboater
    Participant

Greetings. I have Buccaneer Outboard Motor Section. model is 5D10B. Made by Gale a division of OMC.

i cleaned the carb and coated the cork with Krazy glue. Adjusted the cork to about 1/2″ from top of the float bowl. Turned out adjustment for lean rich on front of motor about 3/4 turn and Rich lean on side of carb about a turn. i was able to get motor fired up on 3rd pull after choking. Messed with adjustments back and forth but could not full power. Put it on the boat and took it out and tried more adjusting on the water. Still no speed. When I was fresh water flushing the engine I shut off the fuel supply and as she was running low on fuel I got full RPM’s. I am thinking it is the float adjustment and maybe it was not getting enough fuel?? I did check that the fuel petcock was open full while testing.

Any ideas appreciated. P.S. i did confirm good spark on both plugs.

Thanks
      Ralph

lindy46
      Participant

US Member

I believe those floats are in a fixed position based on the top and bottom stops. What about the filter screen on the inlet? Is that clean? If it’s clogged, fuel may not be flowing fast enough into the bowl to keep up with the motor at high speed.

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

Maybe the adjustment needle or seat is worn, making it “richer” than you think,
          or the float is too heavy?
          Is that adjustment on the side anymore than an idle setting, that opens the throttle
          spool open further when you turn it in? I know Frank set me straight on it a couple
          of years ago, but I haven’t played with one of those carbs for a while.

Pg_14_Carburetor

Prepare to be boarded!

frankr
          Participant

US Member

you said it sped up as it was running out of gas. That tells me it was getting too much gas (rich) before it started running out. Try closing the main needle down some. Around 3/8 turn open is normal in most cases. The screw on the side holds the throttle shutter open part way at idle speeds, and serves as a rich-lean idle mixture control.

seahuntboater
            Participant

Thanks Frank. I will try it soon.

I also need to check that float height too. My float needle clips are not in the groove.

can you give an explanation of the steps we should follow to set the adjustments? For example. once it starts in the barrel how to set adjustments at idle and fast speed?

Thanks

frankr
              Participant

US Member

About all you can do with that or any motor in a barrel is get it somewhere close. The procedure is simple. Start motor and run it at full throttle (if you can). Turn high speed needle to the right till it starts to lose power. Then turn it back to the left till it regains power.

As for the slow speed screw, just experiment with it for best idle. It screws in against a ramp, so good practice is to screw it in a bit with throttle open, then reduce throttle to see how it does. This is to avoid possible damage to the plastic ramp.

Final adjustment on a boat on the lake. Again, it is simple, not rocket science.

EDIT: I see you have a neutral-clutch model. Do not run fast throttle speeds in neutral. Must be in gear to prevent over-revving.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by frankr.
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.