Home Forum Ask A Member Need recommendation for 7.5hp project

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    ronboonville
    Participant

I am not familiar with Johnson or Evinrude outboard models. So help me figure out what model I want, twist throttle, 7.5 hp, not a pressurized tank I have single line tanks. a built in tank would be ok, FNR a must. I like the looks of the fleet twin but am open to a Johnson. Let me know your opinions, thanks! something from the 50’s. short shaft.

chris-p
      Participant

It would have to be a pressurized tank then, unless you simply put a fuel pump on it, which is very easy to do.

wedgie
        Participant

Here is a 1957 Fleetwin that I just got running today. I too like the Evinrude styling of this era. The only drawback for you is that it needs the pressure tank to run. However, It could be converted to run off of a single line non pressure tank by the addition of a fuel pump and a little modification of the plumbing 😉 .

If you wanted a 7.5 with built in fuel tank you will have to go for an earlier version of the Fleetwin.

chris-p
          Participant

And here is a ’55 which falls between the years Wedgie posted

ronboonville
            Participant

okay, looks like the fleetwin is what I need. I can deal with the fuel pump, like my sea king 5. So what would be the Johnson counterpart? Also is one better?

wedgie
              Participant

The 7.5 hp Johnson version is an AD . Just cosmetic differences .

wedgie
                Participant

Mumbles
                  Participant

If you want a newer Johnson 7.5, here’s one from the early eighties. FNR, fuel pump, short shaft.

Since it’s 30+ years old now, we can call it ‘vintage’ with a straight face! 😀

Attachments:

slim60
                    Participant

If you go with a fifties Evinrude, in fifty six the recoil was changed making it easier to pull.

Anonymous

So, what year was it that Johnson and/or Evinrude went to fuel pumps?
                        Kirk

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 38 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.