Need recommendation for 7.5hp project

Home Forum Ask A Member Need recommendation for 7.5hp project

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 38 total)

• jeff-register

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1564
    Topics: 54

Don’t forget a Firestone, Shift, remote tank with pump, short shaft, lighter than most recoil start & twist grip throttle & fully jeweled motor, full bearings except wrist pins. I have enjoyed mine for over 30 years now. Doesn’t get used every time but it gets out often.

jeff-register

US Member - 2 Years

Don’t forget a Firestone 7.5 1953, Remote tank, one impeller, full shift, tiller throttle, lightweight fully jeweled except wrist pins, small gearcase to slide thru the water, same gears as the 10hp very reliable when tuned up correctly, rewind starter, shear pin & full driveshaft, nothing to break,give it a try!

jeff-register

US Member - 2 Years

Then might try a Mercury motor too, A little heavy except the super 10 KH7 but no remote tank Very fast for a 10hp

1946zephyr

Replies: 653
    Topics: 12

Hey Mumbles, I actually have a 7.5hp Hiawatha outboard that was built from the Scott that you have. 🙂

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

Don’t forget the McCulloch built Ted Williams low profile motors for hours of entertainment or the Gamefisher 7.5 horse motors!

Attachments:

Doug Wilson

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 239
    Topics: 29

1959 was the last year the pressure tanks were used on the smaller fishing motors. 1960 all of the motors used
    the single line tanks.
    Doug

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
    turned off?

jpatti75

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 296
    Topics: 49

I’m going to throw in another option to consider….a West Bend made Elgin from 1955 to 1959. They had 5, 7.5, and 12 HP full gear shift models with fuel pumps, as well as one 12HP that could be locked down at the lower HPs for HP-restricted waterways. I had a 12HP model, and what a reliable and great running motor. They’re a little less common than the many little green Elgins out there with the integrated fuel tank, but it shouldn’t be too hard to track down. I think they are an under appreciated motor … probably because they are a little homely compared to the beautiful OMCs of the same time period.

1946zephyr

Replies: 653
    Topics: 12

Kinda like an old Rambler station wagon. Unpopular as sin, but runs till the end of time. There is a lot to be said, for this situation, and those in the right mind will appreciate it. It kinda helps deter the thieves too. 😀 😀

chinewalker

Replies: 459
    Topics: 15

One often overlooked reason to leave your old 5.5 or 7.5 Johnrude as a pressure feed motor is that you’ll never accidentally mix up your tanks and accidentally run your plain bearing motor on a 50:1 mix!

jerry-ahrens

Replies: 986
    Topics: 40

I’ll second what jpatti sayes on the West Bend motors. Excellent running and very powerful. I was recently at club member Mark Trimbles meet and ran across this 25 hp green Elgin, with factory electric start. Kind of a neat motor.

Attachments:

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.