Neptune 1940 6HP coil

Home Forum Ask A Member Neptune 1940 6HP coil

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 29 total)

• kevinf

Replies: 122
    Topics: 14

Awesome thanks for the detailed pictures.

Kevin

b-morrison

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 57
    Topics: 16

I’ll check around for those NLA coils. Still a few old time dealer/fixit shops around. May get my Neptune out of the rafters yet!

Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 7495
    Topics: 1072

Would this one on Amazon work?
    http://www.amazon.com/BRIGGS-STRATTON-I … B00G990HLS

Prepare to be boarded!

bob-d

Replies: 514
    Topics: 104

Buccaneer, they said over at the Smokstak forum that the newer models were for electronic ignition and not the old point type models? I don’t see a ground wire or a condenser wire on the picture from the Amazon link. Possibly call a Briggs and Stratton dealer and ask if the two part numbers (old and new styles) are completely interchangeable?
    It would also be advisable to read all of the posts from the Smokestak forum. These guys seem very knowledgeable on the subject.
    Bob D

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40815

Buccaneer

Replies: 7495
    Topics: 1072

10-4 Bob, thanks.

Prepare to be boarded!

b-morrison

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 57
    Topics: 16

Bob, I found a coil and will attempt the swap in the new year (with support) . Have you tried yours on the motor yet? A thank you in advance for your efforts, Happy new year to all, Brian

joecb

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 906
    Topics: 92

Just a side note… A member here successfully installed a John Deere pony motor coil in a Lauson twin. That outboard has an Eisermann mag like the Neptune. Modification required shaving down the armature to 1/2" X 1/2 ". So there is another solution to the problem.

Joe B

RICHARD A. WHITE

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 1840
    Topics: 140

Just wanted to give everyone an update regarding finding a coil.
    Went onto the Smokstak forum under Maytag 72 coil conversions, and a few of the members posted using older Briggs & Stratton 392329 coils. Apparently this is an NLA part number. Went on Ebay and there was one for $29, which was a heck of a lot better than the $150 coils floating around as replacements on the internet.
    As you can see from the first picture the replacement comes off the core by gently spreading it from the middle. I found this out the hard way after I spent about 20 minutes with a Dremel trying to cut the core in half….duh. The only adjustment necessary to make it fit after removed from original core was some grinding and filing on the original 5/8" core pictured below. The condenser was also leaking, according to my Mercotronic, and I used a Mumbles (hope you don’t mind that I reposted your picture) Vishay .22uf 850V replacement that I found at Digikey (part numbers below).
    Buttoned it all up and low and behold……. it had great spark. I haven’t tested the motor in a tank yet, as I am now going through the carb, but I believe it should run.
    Hope this helps anyone that uses this type of Eisemann ignition.
    Bob D

That coil shows up for $12.15 with free shipping on Amazon…..is it the same?

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
    classicomctools@gmail.com

bob-d

Replies: 514
    Topics: 104

Richard, the $12.15 coil over at Amazon doesn’t show in the picture a ground or condenser wire. I am not really sure if it would work, but the description says it’s a replacement for the 392329 coil?
    Heck for 12 bucks I would at least order it and take a look at it. Amazon has a good return policy if it looks totally off when you get it.
    Bob D

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

The $12.15 coil with free shipping is a steal compared to the same coil on Amazon.CA. The lowest I could find it for was $97.99 plus $10.25 shipping. 😮

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.