Home Forum Ask A Member New Guy! First motor!

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    phil
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The articles (republished as a book) that got me started:
      http://www.omc-boats.org/maxw.html
      he was writing for boat-builders looking for cheap, easy to work on engines, like yours.

Having to re-wind a recoil spring was one of my first lessons too!

http://www.omc-boats.org
      http://www.aerocraft-boats.org

Yellowstone
      Participant

Got it back from the shop this morning and it runs great. In fact, the owner said, “yeah, they couldn’t believe how well that thing runs for its age. It really hums.” I don’t have a compression tester yet but I started the motor on the first pull and it idles down nice the lowest point of the slow scale and just keeps going. I had my son practice starting it to and he got impatient and tried to pull twice once it got going and it made a quick grinding noise. I let out a bit of yell on that one. lol. And instructed him not to do that again. Keeps starting and running well though. The shop said they reassembled the ignition system correctly, installed some missing springs within it (the little dog ones). They also installed new plugs and checked the gear lube, found it was bad, and changed it. It was $100 for the labor and $20 for parts. But been doing research since I dropped it off and can’t wait to work on stuff like the coils and water pump myself. Thanks for all the welcomes and advice!

Mumbles
        Participant

When you decide to get another outboard, I have lots here you can have!

Yellowstone
          Participant

I just may have to do to see what you have for sale sometime soon. I forgot they also put a new rope on it and I was thinking I sure hope they didn’t toss the original handle! They didn’t. Anyway, I started reading the Old Outboard book last night and the history of Johnson and Evinrude, which are fascinating.

squierka39
            Participant

US Member

That’s great, and not to expensive considering the labor involved. Now it’s time to find another JW and try it yourself. You’ll find it’s not that hard, make take a while but you’ll save money and have fun learning. No fancy tools are really needed but some of them do make things easier and you’ can add those as you go along, happy motoring.

Yellowstone
              Participant

Thanks! I am already to buy another. lol. But I still have some work on this one to do too, though. I am going to replace the coils, points and condensers and impeller as Mumbles suggested. Also ordered a missing clamp for $7 (right now using a screwdriver to twist the one bolt in.

Cosmetically, I took all that ugly duck tape off the handle and used goo gone to get the residue off. There’s a big crack about 1/3 the way down one side so I taped it up with masking tape on the outside and applied aquaseal (I use on my waders) to the crack from the inside of the handle. Will see if that is a good semi-permanent fix once its hardened by tomorrow. I was also thinking about trying to remove some of the big dents from the tank. I am doing some research but any suggestions welcome. Then, this winter, if I get a bug up my behind, I may sand, prime, paint and apply new decals. I like it now too but there’s a lot of bare metal in spots.

dave-bernard
                Participant

US Member

See if you can get a better tank to replace a well dented tank is better .

2fast4me
                  Participant

Dave, I thought those dents in the tank are required, all of my JW’s have them and the ‘Rudes did also.
                    Jim

2Fast4Me

dave-bernard
                    Participant

US Member

just saying IF the tank is dented with large dents.

Yellowstone
                      Participant

The large dents are on the front. There are some lesser ones on the side. Honestly, the only thing I would be concerned about is if I repaint and want to put new decals on and it would cause issues in applying them. Or the decal that goes on the front. I’ve thought about trying a paintless dent repair kit. Anyway, worried about the mechanical updates first and would get to after duck season. I estimate I would use this motor 4 times or less for that when we need to get aways from a landing on a bigger lake. Most of the time its push pole or trolling motor. BTW, I realized today this is a 54 motor and the duck boat is a 54 Herters. Hadn’t planned that!

I love the learning process. I took a break from cleaning the garage today. Took the top off the top of the motor to see if the coils were bad and was perplexed at how to get the flywheel off. I turned to YouTube and realized I am going to need a puller and strap wrench.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 42 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.