New Guy! First motor!

Home Forum Ask A Member New Guy! First motor!

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    lindy46
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

If the motor is running that good, it probably doesn’t need new ignition parts. You can remove the cover on top of the flywheel and have a look without removing the flywheel. When they “serviced” the motor for $120, what did they do?

Yellowstone
      Participant

They reassembled the recoil correctly, installed a missing spring and new rope, put new spark plugs in, checked the gear lube and replaced it, and ran the motor in the tank for awhile. So I see what you mean now. Just ran out there and removed the thin plate, which I had failed to realize I could before it was stuck on there so good. One coil looks brand new. Other is shot.

Yellowstone
        Participant

So here are a few photos of the coils and the dents up front. I may just leave the latter if this is our trusty duck motor.

flywheel

cracked

dents

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Mumbles.
          Mumbles
          Participant

A dented tank is almost mandatory on an original JW or Lightwin. If you are doing a cosmetic cleanup, the dents can be hidden.

DSC00018

DSC00154

1957-JW-Tank

Yellowstone
            Participant

Nice! Beautiful work Mumbles! I had considered filling the dents in as an option too. I am also thinking of dragging the wife and kids to an auction tomorrow. I honestly have never been to one. They are just interested in how it works and the lunch that accompanies it. I left a VM for the auctioneer to see if you could check the compression on a motor before buying. My guess is “are you kidding me?” Anyway, here’s the motor part of the bill of sale. Its right down the road from us so planning to just stop by. I’m not looking to buy necessarily.

IMG_0121

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Mumbles.
              fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The JW series of engines is what helped make OMC/Johnson great….That engine is simple, easy to work on, and most parts are available either new or used. I wouldn’t bother trying to refinish the engine, the original patina looks great and I don’t think you will get the dents out of the tank…
                For your next engine, I might recommend another one of OMC’s gems, the CD series of engines, which were 5.5hp models offered by Evinrude and Johnson…

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yep, that coil is shot, am surprised it is sparking on that cylinder at all…Have a look at your service book, or ask here before tackling the ignition job…This job isn’t too hard, but there are some things you will need to know, and some tools you will have to add to your collection…The nice part of these tools is that they are used on most OMC universal magneto engines from the early 50s right up to the late 90s….

Yellowstone
                  Participant

Thanks! Yeah, my wife said the same thing. I think it looks great original. And you are going to use it for duck hunting too so why make it showroom quality? She actually is excited too. Mumbles sent me the service manual so I am looking through that before attempting the coils. I’ve been looking at those CD models online. Thanks!

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

peace of mind… free shipping

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2x-Ignition-Coil-For-Johnson-Evinrude-OMC-Replaces-584477-0584477-582995-0582995-/273865795030?hash=item3fc3ac65d6

service book
                      see url

Joining AOMCI has priviledges đŸ™‚

Yellowstone
                      Participant

Thanks! I ordered a new coil (should be here today) and a tune-up kit with the points, etc. I have been looking through the service manual Mumbles sent and other videos and instructional pages. My biggest challenge to date was the flywheel. I couldn’t get the strap wrench to hold snug or really get it around the wheel well enough to do so. So I improvised and used some strong, thing rope, wound it around and snug against the notch and tied it to the motor stand in a way that made the wheel non-mobile. Then I got the nut off. Tonight, I have to get some 1/4 inch bolts for the flywheel puller I bought as no bolts in the kit I bought match up. Actually had some but found they are to short. They don’t get enough of a hold for it to work. Video I watched said the flywheel release can be “explosive” if not done for awhile so trying not to flinch when I do it. Ha.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Yellowstone.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 42 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.