Home Forum Ask A Member New guy with question

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    The Boat House
    Participant

tinkerman
      Participant

US Member

Coils are not cracked and look pretty solid. The throttle lever was seized up so I disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. All is smooth now. (After assembling it 3 different times to get it right) Ordered a carb rebuild kit. And yes it is for sure a QD-16.i would say freshwater for sure as it came from the south. I know all this sounds random but trying to respond to the questions in previous post. I cleaned up the “splotches” I don’t think they were as bad as I initially thought. I’m gonna drain the lower grease today and I ordered a compression gauge (shoulda went to harbor freight but too late now) so it’ll be a day or two on compression test. I’ll go ahead and order the book also looks like a good read. Thanks for the responses

It's a jungle out there.

phil
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

While you’re waiting for the book, you can read much of it on-line: http://www.omc-boats.org/maxw.html

Max convinced me that even I could fix old outboards to go on my old boat.
          He’s NOT a purist– he was writing a column for wooden boat builders.

http://www.omc-boats.org
          http://www.aerocraft-boats.org

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

Yes – Max takes some short cuts not approved by the factory, but with a 60+ year old outboard you don’t worry about the fac\tory warren\tee. – This is what I have – being EVINRUDE special interest group leader –

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

The Flywheel and starter are different on your QD – the Evinrude is a ’56 – that year the starter changed. – this is the 1955 –

olcah
              Participant

US Member

Tip – Do not follow the factory recommendation for torque to install the spark plugs or you will strip the threads in the head. Just install by feel and NOT too tight.

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Welcome and congratulations On your motor. I’m one of those guys that definitely appreciates a nice original. I also appreciate a nice restoration, but prefer a nice unmolested original. I also don’t mind just building them up out of parts and making a nice runner. The QD-16 is a great motor. I have 3 of them and it sounds like you have a nice one. A few nicks and imperfections just mean the motor has a few stories to tell. Lots of wonderful folks here willing to help out. This is a great club and well worth the cost of dues.
                  -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

goldmember
                  Participant

I just finished my first outboard and I dusted the stator with Silicone Spray to slow the deterioration down.

tinkerman
                    Participant

US Member

Lower unit oil looked decent not milky no water, just dark brown color. Ordered an impeller but gonna wait til parts show up before disassembling. Was gonna post a few pics but see there is a problem with the site right now

It's a jungle out there.

tinkerman
                      Participant

US Member

Gonna move this over to the projects section if anyone’s interested. Gonna check compression here in a little bit

It's a jungle out there.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.