Home Forum Ask A Member New Motor Questions, 1950 Johnson SD-20

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    david-bartlett
    Participant

I just acquired a 1950 Johnson 16HP. Not even here yet, as my son is bringing it to me tomorrow. I have never seen one in person, just on the internet, and was wondering what insight the group might have for me regarding what to look for.

It is interesting in that it has a spark advance lever independent of the throttle, which I guess is really not much different from how things started out, just had not seen one before.

I think these do not use the universal mag common on later motors, and the points are the plunger type.

Will be fun learning about rotary valves and all that goes with it.

I will get some pictures up when I get a look at it.

legendre
      Participant

Check your PM

gjonz
        Participant

Great motors! Lots of torque. Go through the ignition. No water pump to,deal,with as it is a pressure vacuum system. Lower unit seals if needed are available at Sea Way Marine.

I have several. Always dependable.

Greg

beerman57
          Participant

Seaway doesn’t have parts lists for OMC like they do for Mercs. Call them at 800-332-0803.

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

When working on the points there is a plunger shaft that actuates the points. Be sure to replace them the same way they came out. One end is flat & the other is rounded

david-bartlett
              Participant

Thanks guys for the replies. I have been away from internet access for a few days and just got back. Here are a few pics.

As you can see, a mouse family had moved in and taken up residence some time ago. Compression is good, but no spark yet. I have not pulled the flywheel to clean the points yet, but will soon. I need to clean the carb as well.

More questions to come!

ray-schaber
                Participant

Clean the engine with a strong bleach solution. Mouse droppings can have many germs.
                  The mouse smell may last for a year or more.
                  Ray

davidk
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Why is there a round panel in the side cowling on David’s first photo? Just saw this on a friends QD10 and we couldn’t figure out why that panel is there?

legendre
                    Participant
                      quote Jeff Register:

When working on the points there is a plunger shaft that actuates the points. Be sure to replace them the same way they came out. One end is flat & the other is rounded

And apparently, that means the flat end runs on the points cam (flywheel side) and the rounded end runs on the moving points contact. Was news to me.

quote david bartlett:

More questions to come!

Questions like, "Hey guys, what are the symptoms of hantavirus and septicemic plague"?

😀

1946zephyr
                      Participant

very interesting motors. Never had one myself. but that cooling system was always interesting to me. I don’t have anything to input here, but you have a cool looking motor. Nice shape too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 46 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.