Home Forum Ask A Member New Motor Questions, 1950 Johnson SD-20

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    david-bartlett
    Participant
      quote DavidK:

Why is there a round panel in the side cowling on David’s first photo? Just saw this on a friends QD10 and we couldn’t figure out why that panel is there?

David,

I have been wondering that also. There is one on each side of the cowling.

legendre
      Participant
        quote david bartlett:

I have been wondering that also. There is one on each side of the cowling.

Likewise.

If the panels aren’t concealing any useful features on the engine, then they’re possibly a vestigial element from an earlier or similar design iteration. It’s also possible that the panels can be replaced with a different part which then provides attachment points for some accessory.

Find a spare set, weld a small vertical tube onto each one, and hang an american flag off each side! 😎

davidk
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Maybe it’s a mouse door?

jeff-register
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes you have it correct.

phil-b
            Participant

I thought a mouse could get thru a hole the size of a nickel. That would make it a door for a VERY LARGE rat!

Maybe a capybara???
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capybara

bob-myers
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

One of those was the first motor I ever owned. I bought it in ’53 or ’54.

gjonz
                Participant

I have rebuilt several of these old motors. One can be seen on my blog at: https://conductorjonz.wordpress.com/category/misc/page/2/

They have very hot spark…so don’t be surprised if after cleaning the carb and ignition points she takes off on the first or second pull. The carb is odd…but straight forward. By the way I broke a glass filter bowl on mine once and found a direct replacement at Tractor Supply. 😆

I think the round panels were for a remote control set up. Note the steering bar-type little handle on the rear?

I still have three of these old girls. One SD10 (that found its way into my truck at a meet by some stealthy members of the MOB chapter who knew my enjoyment of these things), and SD15 (Which won Best Restored Antique Motor at a meet last fall.) and a nice original SD20 with its original Tall Boy fuel tank.

I frankly don’t get to run them enough! Really nice runners!

Greg

gjonz
                  Participant

If I could figure out how in the hell to post photos I would.

Greg

chris-p
                    Participant

Greg you have to use a photo hosting site like photobucket for one.

gjonz
                      Participant

Yeah. Got Flickr. Can’t seem to get the photo to load. Appreciate your help!

Used to be able to do it on the old site. Haven’t done it on this site tho.

Greg

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 46 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.