Home Forum Ask A Member New Motor Questions, 1950 Johnson SD-20

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    legendre
    Participant
      quote gjonz:

Yeah. Got Flickr. Can’t seem to get the photo to load. Appreciate your help!

Used to be able to do it on the old site. Haven’t done it on this site tho.

Greg

It’s easy. You only need the +direct+ URL to the photo. Then enclose that URL in a set of IMG codes like this:

code :
      david-bartlett
      Participant
        quote gjonz:

I have rebuilt several of these old motors. One can be seen on my blog at: https://conductorjonz.wordpress.com/category/misc/page/2/

They have very hot spark…so don’t be surprised if after cleaning the carb and ignition points she takes off on the first or second pull. The carb is odd…but straight forward. By the way I broke a glass filter bowl on mine once and found a direct replacement at Tractor Supply. 😆

I think the round panels were for a remote control set up. Note the steering bar-type little handle on the rear?

I still have three of these old girls. One SD10 (that found its way into my truck at a meet by some stealthy members of the MOB chapter who knew my enjoyment of these things), and SD15 (Which won Best Restored Antique Motor at a meet last fall.) and a nice original SD20 with its original Tall Boy fuel tank.

I frankly don’t get to run them enough! Really nice runners!

Greg

Greg,

I am looking forward to running it. I have cleaned the points, disassembled and cleaned the carb, and am ready to put that back on. I need to check the lower unit as I have some old oil leaking out. I can see at least one gasket that I need to replace.

I also have an original tall tank for this motor. I will get some video of it running when I do.

jeff-register
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I agree 46! Very well built outboard as well The early 50’s motors are getting rare too I think.

gjonz
          Participant

I’ll try the photo thing here…

This is the award winner…frankenmotor. Built from parts of three other motors. Started on the first pull after restoration. Scared hell outta me!

Video…

http://youtu.be/sqjQf24r2DA

Greg

legendre
            Participant
              quote gjonz:

I’ll try the photo thing here…

Greg,

The pic didn’t post because the URL doesn’t point to an image file.. here’s what you entered:

code :

"G90K6w" isn’t being interpreted (by the forum software) as an image file, as it doesn’t have an extension like .jpg / .png / .gif etc. Find a link that points to a properly named image file, and your code should work just fine as it is otherwise properly formed.

gjonz
              Participant

As I’m growing older…I’m growing to hate technology. 🙄 😐 :geek: :ugeek:

equad99
                Participant

i got a wild hair a couple of years ago, and because it ran so well at low speed,and tended to overheat while doing that, i got busy in the machine shop, and put a mark 25 mercury water pump in mine. not an easy task, but well worth it. it will sputter at minimum speed for hours and wont overheat…its one of those deals that really left me wondering why johnson didnt put a water pump in them..it was that much improved….art b

gjonz
                  Participant

I have heard about your adapting it over…but would like to see photos of how sometime.

Of course I’m no machinist…so it would probably be out of curiosity for the most part.

david-bartlett
                    Participant
                      quote equad99:

i got a wild hair a couple of years ago, and because it ran so well at low speed,and tended to overheat while doing that, i got busy in the machine shop, and put a mark 25 mercury water pump in mine. not an easy task, but well worth it. it will sputter at minimum speed for hours and wont overheat…its one of those deals that really left me wondering why johnson didnt put a water pump in them..it was that much improved….art b

I would be interested in seeing some more on this too.

david-bartlett
                      Participant

Ok,

I have another question about this SD-20, regarding the cooling system. I understand the pressure-vacuum system in theory, but am wondering what this particular hole on the left side of the motor is. It is down low on the powerhead.

When I blow air through one of the water tubes in the leg, air exits this hole in the picture. Is this some sort of discharge hole? Something missing?

Thanks for looking.

Sorry about the orientation, but I couldn’t get it rotated 90 degrees clockwise as it should be.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 46 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.