Home Forum Ask A Member New Old Boat, Motor, Trailer issues

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member

Went for a 120 mile round trip today to purchase an old boat, motor, and trailer.
      1958 Alumacraft "Queen of the Waterways" (Maybe Queen of DeNile)
      1966 Evinrude 9.5 hp 9622A
      Trailer?

Boat looks solid, but someone put a plastic drain fitting / plug
      thru the transom that’s loose.
      Do they make a good metal one?
      Not sure if this boat originally had a drain?

Evinrude is suppose to run good…… but time will tell on that, lol.
      Anything to "look out for" on this model?
      It’s missing the carb adjustment knob that attaches
      to a cable that goes to the carb, but it looks like they’re still available.
      Speaking of carbs, it’s way toward the back of the engine ❓

Any idea what brand the trailer is? It may be as old as the boat, but
      not sure. It says "Gator" on the hubcabs, but it looks like there’s a painted
      over decal on the fender that said something else.

Thanks for any enlightenment!
      Buccaneer

P.S.- Trailer wiring was a mess…… should not have plugged it
      into my Taurus…… no trailer lights worked. Went about
      a mile down the road and pulled over to check every thing before
      I hit the freeway. Could not get my car back out of Park….grrrrr
      Ended up disconnecting the shift cable at the tranny. Made it home,
      but lucky I didn’t need reverse, or neutral!
      A little research told me I blew the brake light fuse, which also
      operates a safety interlock solenoid…… preventing the shift lever
      from leaving park!

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

wiscoboater
      Participant

I’m no expert, ask my wife…. but that sure looks like a Gator trailer.

raglover
        Participant

US Member

Looks like a gator trailer, hubcaps are great and hard to find. Used to be a site out there that had some decals, lenses etc. but not sure if it is still around. I think they were yellow in color originally.

The boat is cool for sure. pretty sure it had a plug in it but was aluminum and welded in. Not sure if it was in the transom or in the bottom of the boat. If there is a big weld patch in the bottom of rear floor behind boat that is where it was….usually that style was riveted in place. I have seen the metal type that you can use the screw in plug, but they are in glass and wooden boats. If you want to use that type in this boat you may need to put a piece of 1/2 inch starboard on the inside so you have something the screw into. I have a plastic one in my Aero craft because someone welded up the one in the bottom. The plastic type works with a regular size rubber plug. 3m 5200 seals it so it does not leak, but the hole was properly sized. The 5200 is an adhesive so it will hold it and make sure the nut on the back is tight and not cracked.

The motor is cool. I have worked on a few, opinions vary on this OMC model. Standard OMC construction with simple split case lower unit. The exhaust seal around the shrouded tower can go bad and exhaust leaks back into cowling causing poor running with cover on…..I have never had this issue but it has been discussed often on the site. It is hard to repair this as it requires dismantling the whole motor and I think the original seal is NLA, but you could probably make one. It is a down draft carb. Kits are out there and easy to rebuild. It is low profile so you can cast a line out over it. Probably on the over rated side of hp and is comparable to about a 7.5 hp OMC.

I would not turn one down and like the motors so I think it will serve you well.

All in all a good score. Would have never thought of disconnecting the trans cable and shifting the trans in gear the way you did. Awesome war story.

wiscoboater
          Participant

The giveaways on the trailer, The welded on lift handle on the front hitch, The handle on the port side with grip for the tilt mechanism, the red rims with the chrome baby moons, the truss beneath the hitch tube. All Gator.

chris-p
            Participant

The seal can be bought at http://www.nymarine.ca for the exhaust.

Another problem with the 9.5s is bad motor mounts, when they shake enough it throws the points timing out and wont run.

When running well though, they run…..well. As stated, I too feel the 9.5hp rating is a bit high, feels more like a 7.5hp. No where near the power you get out of an earlier 10hp.

Cool Boat, I like it!

Def Gator Trailer. Collectible, great find.

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

Thanks for the replies and great information. I’ve never had a
                "vintage" trailer before, so never heard of Gator. Will have to
                study up! Good to know about the potential gasket problem!
                I have to go look for a 15 amp mini fuse tomorrow…….
                borrowed the one for the "high beams"…… figured I’d rather
                get it out of Park then have lights, lol.

Prepare to be boarded!

wedgie
                Participant

Nice boat and trailer Buccaneer.

Hey, is that a real live deer in the background of the second picture?

wedgie
                  Participant

Those Gator trailers are of the tilt variety correct? Mumbles posted a fix for those motor mounts that was lost on the old boards when they crashed .

Steve A W
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Ya shoulda used the pickup, It doesn’t have all those "Safety gadgets" to strand You somewhere ❗
                      If the rest of the truck looks as good as the rear that is a real looker.
                      Good luck with Your new toy.

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
                      I live in Northwest Indiana

49hiawatha
                      Participant

Suggestion. For towing questionable trailers home always have a set of plug-in towing lights(light/directional/plates/stop) that are at least 25′ long. You can make them or I see you can buy them made-up. I towed home alot of cars with my old set (still have).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 36 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.