Home Forum Ask A Member New Old Boat, Motor, Trailer issues

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member

I think I’d go with the "Red Light" special too. The $159 for the magnetic
      set could be better spent…… buying five outboards…… or parts for one!
      Could always go the "Red Green" route and duct tape a cheap set on…..
      very portable that way!

Prepare to be boarded!

dan-in-tn
      Participant

US Member

Bucaneer, I don’t think anyone can say it is easy to change motor mounts on the 9.5hp style OMC engine. There are some procedures that make it much easier than wrestling with it in the floor. This way you don’t have to pull any major components. Clamp the gearcase A/V plate in a gearcase holder. It’s nice if you have a way to move the engine up and down in this holder (you won’t be taking it out until done). By holding the engine this way you can remove the lower pans and all parts necessary to get at all of the mounts. I was looking around on Ebay after we talked the other night. All of the mounts are availble at drastically reduced pricing. I would buy new mounts. You don’t want to do this job often.

Dan in TN

chris-p
        Participant

Those are the ones I have Mumbles. I got them on one of their like 80% off sales.

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member

Dan, I have no idea what a gearcase A/V plate "holder" is,
            but will try to research tonight!
            Thanks for the tips!
            I noticed on EBay, one person parting out a 9.5 because his
            front "rubber" engine mount kept breaking.
            Is there a permanent fix for this?

Prepare to be boarded!

chris-p
            Participant

Most do it yourselfers don’t have one Buccaneer, mechanics use them, especially for I/Os.

I personally do not like doing this job. While you change the mount, you might as well change the exhaust grommet, they are prone to failing as well.

dan-in-tn
              Participant

US Member

An A/V holder is nothing more than a gearcase holder, but must just hold the motor by the A/V plate only. Almost everyone has a way to hold a gearcase to do work on one of those. It is nice to able to move the holder around because you are going to need to be moving around the engine. I have never worked on a stern drive in my life and mine is homemade. As far as the exhaust donut, yes I would change while I was there. It’s 50 yrs old! They don’t go out all the time, but after 50 yrs. all things give it up eventually. Not sure why the other guy would have repeat failures unless he is using used mounts. That’s why I stress putting in new mounts. I would rather put fresh new mounts, but can’t find those. Keep in mind that with this motor wrapped in a motor pan, all of these parts we are talking about are exposed and soaked in our favorite ethanol fuel. That stuff takes its toll on rubber and plastic parts. Something they didn’t have to worry about 50 yrs. ago.

Dan in TN

chris-p
                Participant

Ah thought you meant one like this

http://www.scaffoldmart.com/stern-drive-jack.html
                  http://crcmarinesupply.com/Stern%20drive%20Jack.htm

I made my own out of wood and castors as well, sort of like this.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-r … -reinstall

Buccaneer
                  Participant

US Member

Thanks for the info and links! I thimk I get the idea now.
                    I told myself never to bring home anything bigger than
                    a 10 hp outboard…… especially after I wrestled a free
                    35 hp out of my trunk!…… Hope I never have the pleasure
                    of working on stern drive 🙂
                    Guessing I could make use of some 2×4’s, blocks, and clamps to
                    hold the unit upright when the time comes.

Prepare to be boarded!

dan-in-tn
                    Participant

US Member

Yes Chris, something like the red one, but not near that nice or heavy duty! I work on big V-6 outboard engines, but don’t have anything that nice! This holder would have to be smaller anyway. The 9.5hp A/V would fall thru that gap. A roll around stand works fine if you use air rachets to break everything loose. Hard to chase everything around unless you have good brake casters! Being 6’3" I like mine tall. I can’t bend over anymore. That’s why I like to be able to raise and lower the motor. Unless you do these all the time, it’s hard to remember to get everything unhooked on the inside the first time. Going back together you have to be everywhere at once. When I was 17 I use to do a bunch of these. Got pretty good at it. At that time you broke the mounts because of hitting logs and stumps.

Dan in TN

crosbyman
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

great little motor.
                        my 9623a was $50 it only needed the usuals… coils points condenser I did not do the carb. it ran perfectly after I got the pistons unstuck from long storage

search previous posts as PRISTINE

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 36 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.