Home Forum Ask A Member New Old Boat, Motor, Trailer issues

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member

Crosbyman, I think my 9.5 will be a nice motor too….. started easy, but will
      have to check out the motor mounts this winter.
      I remember reading your thread a while back, but didn’t realize it was the
      same motor I just got with my boat.

Prepare to be boarded!

dan-in-tn
      Participant

US Member

For me, the most prominent symptom of broken mounts (front mount at least) is when you run the motor and accelerate the motor in forward gear it will die out. After a little study you will find each time the choke knob is pulled out. The powerhead rears back and the knob is pulled out choking the engine. Might not be something you would expect, but that is a sure sign of broken front mount.

Dan in TN

johnyrude200
        Participant

+1 on T2stroke’s comment/observation on the broken choke knob. Pretty much every 9.5 I buy, the first thing I look at is if the choke knob ‘nub’ is broken off. If it is, well then I expect to split the lower cowel and get invasive, which, if it’s a fresh water motor, isn’t TOO bad (now that I’m more experienced), but if it’s a salt motor, either I buy it for $15-20 and wait for when I have 10-12 hours of free time, or just plain move onto the next motor…AKA not worth it.

johnyrude200
          Participant

On a side note, I am reseaching an economical way of reproducing the following mass-scale…opinions?…:

1) 18-20-25 repro starter motor brackets
            2) OMC Float tool #324891, pretty useful in general…not all carbs are set by inverting and leveling the float, and 1MM makes a HUGE difference
            3) OMC flywheel puller tool. Acquired an original and want to make a repro that is true to it based on modern day available materials.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years
              quote t2stroke:

For me, the most prominent symptom of broken mounts (front mount at least) is when you run the motor and accelerate the motor in forward gear it will die out. After a little study you will find each time the choke knob is pulled out. The powerhead rears back and the knob is pulled out choking the engine. Might not be something you would expect, but that is a sure sign of broken front mount.

Dan in TN

Another symptom of broken mounts is often misdiagnosed causing frustration and un-needed work.
              The customer complains the engine jumps out of gear when accelerated. The technician pops the engine in the tank, and indeed it does jump out of gear when accelerated, he then tears the gearcase apart only to find little/no wear on the clutch dog/gear lugs.
              But, what is really happening is that the broken mounts allow the powerhead to slip back in the cowl which pulls the shift linkage into neutral. There is a difference between the symptom here and the usual "jumping out of gear" symptom.
              We are used to feeling the clunk/bang when the clutch dog lugs jump over the gear lugs, but the engine usually continues along in forward gear. But, when the broken mounts pull on the 9.5hp shift linkage, the engine pops out of gear and stays in neutral!
              I remember a senior technician at my first job pointing this out to me, and somehow I have remembered his important message all these years!

jeff-register
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

What year is your pick up?

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.