Home Forum Ask A Member New primer bulbs?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    wiscoboater
    Participant

Is something different with the new Atwood primer bulbs? I had an old one on my 77 Johnson 35 and it would not pump up. Went out today, bought a brand new line, bulb, hose assembly and put my Johnson end on it. Same thing… wont pump up pressure. Swapped a real old bulb and line on and it pumps up ok. Are the new EPA compliant bulbs different that I can’t get them to pump up?

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

How old is the old one? They used to have "real" check valves in them. They’ve improved them within the last 10 years or so till they barely work. They depend on gravity to seat the valves. Hold it so the flow direction points upward as you squeeze it. It should work better once it gets liquid in it.

johnyrude200
        Participant

Make sure your connector at either end of the line doesnt have an air leak. You know how sometimes the right connector somehow just doesnt seat correctly on the male end? Or is a ‘hard’ connection to plug in?

I had a line that wasnt connected well to the motor, but somehow didnt make a good seal. Primed the bulb at least 30 pumps before I felt a little gas making its way umthrough the bulb. After another 20 pumps, it started dribbling out of the connector. Replaced the connector and if works A-OK.

wiscoboater
          Participant

Can the single line connectors be taken apart and the Orings replaced like the dual line connectors?

johnyrude200
            Participant

Ill let some others comment on that. I will say that whether they are or aren’t, they are so inexpensive compared to the 2-line system, that to me it isnt worth the time or hassle to replace a $0.15 o-ring. I just swap out the connector, plus the new stuff is plastic; old stuff is metal and lends itself to repair work. Plastic just plain breaks in general.

benchrascal
              Participant

Frank had it right ,the supplier of those Attwood bulbs went to great lengths to mention the bulb must be vertical when pumping up .They only last one or two seasons with the gas we have around here.

1946zephyr
                Participant

One other thing that would help too. is push the little check valve down with a plastic nozzle of a WD-40 can while you squeeze the bulb. That tends to help the fuel flow through the line faster.

billy-t
                  Participant

I would agree, the Atwood ones i have used go hard as a rock in a year two at the most for me.

jw-in-dixie
                    Participant

I have been using a WM-Atwood, I guess, for many years. Each Spring on the first outing it is hard as a brick. Takes both of my old thumbs to press it at all. Strange, on the next use it is soft and flexible. All summer it works fine. I wonder why? I use Non-E gas only. I wonder if the oil softens it?

JW in Dixie

Michael
                      Participant

International Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I find that the OMC/BRP primer bulbs to be the best

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.