New to AOMC with a 1963 mercury 200

Home Forum Ask A Member New to AOMC with a 1963 mercury 200

This topic contains 25 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar jeff-register 4 days, 17 hours ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
    JayzonAych
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 14
    Topics: 0

delete

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Avatar JayzonAych.
    JayzonAych
    US Member - 1 Year

….. Also, yes, that motor is a pain to start and check temps since recoil is in hood…. And that hood is a major PITA to get aligned and secured.. Its a learned trick but you can get it started and get the hood off and on with some patience … The most nerve racking part is when flywheel scrapes the side brackets in hood… Just kind of tilt hood forward at this point and clear the flywheel… Do some practicing engine not running with a flashlight.. This will be a trying time and influence you to do everything possible to get it idling good…. haha … trust me I have been there done that.

20mercman
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 580
    Topics: 21

You can rope start those with a manual rope with the top cowl off. I don’t usually try to remove the hood with them running as I am afraid of getting it wedged and causing an issue…. Especially if the motor is warmed up, they start easily enough to rope them over. There is a notch in the flywheel for a knot, but even in not, the tabs on the flywheel will hold a knot enough to do a quick rope start.

Steve

P.S. Great to see you posting again Jayzon!

JayzonAych
    US Member - 1 Year

His does not have earlier Phelon with notch, in my experience the later does not lend itself to rope starting.. besides I have had the rope knot stick in notch before, engine start, and swing wood handle around like a medieval weapon.. got hit pretty good in head once… it is indeed what notch is for but for reason stated I don’t recommend. ..haha

I sold all of my merc 200s besides my nice 63. This topic drew me back in since it’s one of my favorites.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Avatar JayzonAych.
    nicholas soper
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 9
    Topics: 1

I took the old Starcraft and Mercury 200 out for it first lake run in at least 15 years tonight since the weather was pretty much ideal. 70 degrees and no wind. Its a pretty small “no wake” local lake so I kept things pretty slow since there were quite a few other boats around. I started with the fuel mixture screw at 1-1/4 turns out as Jayzon suggested. I couldn’t ever get the throttle to roll back to full stop idle without it dying. I tried adjusting the mixture screw CW a 1/4 turn to lean it and it dies at full idle. I tried to turn the mixture screw CCW a 1/4 turn to 1-1/2 turns out, enriching the mixture, and the same result. I wanted to do more testing, but with the cover off I was wrapping a wood handled starter rope around the tabs on the flywheel. Most of the time the knot would release and it would start pretty easily, but there was more than once when the knot didn’t release, and rope got wrapped back around the fly wheel as the engine tried to start. That seemed like it was getting kind of sketchy, so I just got it restarted and cruised around for a while.

Tell tale didn’t seem to be sending out much water, but the engine stayed cool. I kept reaching up and touching the upper cylinder when we were underway and it was only ever luke warm feeling. So that’s a good sign.

With the idle being so finicky, my fear that Jayzon is correct about needing to address the seals. I was really hoping it wouldn’t come to that.

nicholas soper
    US Member - 1 Year

Don’t know if this video link will work but I’ll try it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zKZzBgt4E6gxebEXbeHTRCIE87rhSSwO/view?usp=drivesdk

JayzonAych
    US Member - 1 Year

Your google drive link requires a login account.

Glad to hear another 63 merc 200 is churning up the water of another lake. They are funnest at WOT, you need to get it to another lake 🙂

You can do the top crank seal fairly easy by removing flywheel then mag plate and would be “low hanging fruit” at this point. You don’t really need to pull the bearing carrier as I stated before. I had replaced a bearing in one and that is where my head was. I use an old ice pick, to punch a hole in seal casing (not bearing housing) on both sides then carefully pry it out with a piece of wood as a fulcrum. That may get it to idle a bit better. For perfection you will need to do the rest. I use SKF seal 9243 for the upper crank seal. The 2 stacked lower crank seals are 2 x 8624

In my opinion that motor is very worthy venture. Really cool and unique styling and a lot of features of a modern motor.

BTW, your realistic goal should be to get it to slow to troll at no wake speeds. Getting it to idle perfectly down in the area of “stop” probably an unrealistic goal.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 19 hours ago by Avatar JayzonAych.
    • This reply was modified 6 days, 19 hours ago by Avatar JayzonAych.
    JayzonAych
    US Member - 1 Year

to add to my previous comment… one thing to consider is if bottom seals are leaking that means it may also be sucking in water…. However there are 2 of them so chances are a little better. Your motor was obviously cared for and kept indoors so there is a chance the seals are decent enough to keep water out. Only one way to know for sure though.

nicholas soper
    US Member - 1 Year

Well I guess I’m gonna try the Youtube route.

JayzonAych
    US Member - 1 Year

Doesn’t sound to bad. Can you maintain a speed below no wake?

jeff-register
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1067
    Topics: 45

Desmadromic valves In the CL 450. That is a one year model. You are speaking of the motorcycle? The pressure relief system gets clogged below the powerhead. Need to pull the powerhead to clean it.
    I too have a 63 200.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 17 hours ago by Avatar jeff-register.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.