new (to me) motor!

Home Forum Ask A Member new (to me) motor!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)

• opposedtwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 968
    Topics: 259

evinrude 3012-11978 makes it a 1953 3 hp. cl find for almost nothing ($25)–even a blind squirrel gets a nut now and then!! 😆

no spark in the top cylinder but it started very easily and ran it on the bench for about 10 seconds before I shut it down. compression is only 75 lbs–both top and bottom. what would be ideal, acceptable, etc? 24:1 ok or should I go with 16:1 due to the age and bushings rather than bearings?

the starboard side lower cowl looks like it’s been wollered to accept an aftermarket petcock on the fuel line? it appears to be the "in line is fine" type rather than the ball cock type. thoughts?

the anti-cavitation is broken off. how will this affect performance?

i’ll have to get a good used coil and replace the bad one but other than that and a new impeller, it should be a keeper.

power head not painted, eh? looks like some of the red primer still on it though. thoughts?

scott

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3587
    Topics: 326

just tune* it up and try it …my 3038 was $25 also…nothing broken but lots of surface bumps fixed with Bondo and paint

carb kit, impeller coils points etc … the usual stuff and clean the tank, 2 tank vents under the screw washer (look closely) and the tank filter on top of the fuel shut-off but it is likely gone anyway since the original valve was replaced .

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.c … une-UP.htm

not much to do about the cavitation plate…. maybe a used gear case can be found cheaply

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

kees

International Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 516
    Topics: 17

well that don’t hurt $25
    and with a bit of extra oil mix ( no detergent ) you can push up the compression a bit
    I don’t know what was recommended but 1:24 sounds OK
    my 2c thoughts 😎

auldscott

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 175
    Topics: 42

That old survivor deserves to be out on the water and making smoke again. I don’t think the broken cav plate will be a problem unless exhaust gases get into the propeller.

Check to be sure that there is good lubricant in the lower unit.

Go for a new coil if you need a coil. Jim Judkins has the Prufrex (German) coils. Not expensive. Worth the cost of new.

From the look of your pressure tank collection, you know your OMCs.

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

That broken exhaust outlet might be a little noisy, but won’t hurt performance. The 3 bladed prop is low pitched. It can over rev on a fast canoe.

outboard315

Replies: 197
    Topics: 16

I would check the points, the other cylinder may come around with some sand paper. Napa sells the correct petcock if you wanted to replace it. Other than that it is a nice motor for the price. The compression is about right for these motors.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3587
    Topics: 326

….. " Napa sells the correct petcock if you wanted to replace it."

that NAPA petcock model is ok for the 2hp it is a 90 degree valve handle pointing down

the 3hp needs a straight valve with the handle on the side to exit the lower skirt housing

unles of course they now sell a side valve.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

20mercman

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 613
    Topics: 23

I think that I may have a lower unit for that if you’re interested.

Steve

jerry-ahrens

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 986
    Topics: 40

Be sure to use 16/1 ratio on that one, originally called for from the factory. I may have a set of lower cowls for that one to, I’ll have to check.

archangel

Replies: 118
    Topics: 21

I’m curious to know what the Batman-shaped tool on the tool board is for. I don’t have one of those, Scott.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.