New Toy CD-12 Tank Cleaning question

Home Forum Ask A Member New Toy CD-12 Tank Cleaning question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 58 total)

• bullie

Replies: 416
    Topics: 57

I picked up a nice little 1955 Johnson 5.5 this morning. It looks to be in pretty good shape. Compression was 85/82. I am kinda excited.

It had no spark. Petty easy to see why. I think this one has been in storage for quite some time. I’ll bet some of you guys can even answer this for me, which is the newer condenser?

I will have to wait a few days for coils and an impeller to arrive so it gives me some time to clean the tank. The metal looks pretty solid but it is rusty on the inside. What is the best way to clean it out? The tank looks like it could be original with the motor. 4 gallon Johnson and other than the rust looks really good for being 61 years old.

aquasonic

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 634
    Topics: 42

With 85 and 82 PSI compression, after sitting for a long time, that should be a really good runner. The compression may even come up when it’s run for a while.

Both of the condensors are old style. I’d guess that the black one is a replacement. I’d replace them both with the newer style ones which are shorter and have a somewhat tapered top as opposed to the cylindrical shaped old style.

The best way of tank rust removal that I have found is by electrolysis. Hopefully someone will post the procedure. I have seen it on this forum several times.

fisherman6

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1702
    Topics: 34

First I’ll say nice find Bullie. That should be a good one. With those compression numbers and seeing it still has the original coils in it I think you have a winner.

As far as cleaning the rust out of the rust out of the tank there are several different ways to do it. It depends on how bad the rust is. I have cleaned the rust out of a few tanks. I used the Kreem kit to do a couple motorcycle tanks with pretty good luck. Their cleaning solution does a good job of getting rust out. I have used molasses solution to clean one with great success but that method is very slow and the tank was bad but not horrible when I started. I may try the electrolysis method next time. I have a nice little 4 gallon suction tank that I need to get cleaned out. I have not tried that method yet but it seems to be very effective and MUCH faster than the molasses solution. There are lots of instructions and even youtube videos on how to do the electrolysis. Try doing great a search there. If you try it before me, let me know how it works. The nice thing is the top comes off the pressure tanks and allows better access for leaning and draining. While the top I off it will probably need.to be rebuilt anyway. The O rings in the fitting probably need.to be replaced as well. Those tanks need to seal well or they don’t work properly. Also remember, if it is leaking, it is pushing highly flammable fumes out too. Nothing wrong with the pressure tanks IMHO but they need to be in good working order. Those O Rings can be replaced by picking the old ones out and lubricating the new ones and stuffing them in, but Frank Robb makes a fixture and push that makes an easy job of it and reduces the risk of damaging the fitting. You don’t want to mess up that fitting since they are.getting very expensive. I hope this helps.
    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

fisherman6

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1702
    Topics: 34

I watched this series last time I was thinking of doing this.

https://youtu.be/px0aPQSalDc

https://youtu.be/8fLVLVVPYQM

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

bullie

That looks very interesting. I have been checking out videos since I posted the pics. I saw several videos where vinegar was used and since I had some on hand I decided to give it a try. The tank is only rusted on the bottom….sides look good.

It is a really clean looking little motor. Looks like the original plugs too.

Steve A W

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 761
    Topics: 52

If the rust isn’t too bad throw a bunch of little screws or
    nuts or even pea gravel into the tank with your choice of
    cleaning solvent then shake it, a lot. And a lot more ❗ ❗
    You got a great motor there. I got one that had set for 20
    years in my brothers basement [a buddy stored a bunch of
    stuff and never came back] it was mildly stuck. It released
    after some kroil and had 60 pounds on both cylinders. now
    it has 85lbs on both.
    It’s my fishin motor on the smaller lakes I go to.
    Good Luck with it.

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
    I live in Northwest Indiana

bullie

Thanks guys. I popped the top on the tank and got a wire brush and some acetone inside. It cleans it up shiny pretty fast and if it weren’t for my mangled wrists I would recommend it. I am gonna have to get something else in there. A different brush shape maybe or some steel wool and long pliers. I donno. Shaved my arms in a few places…deeper in a couple others.

bullie

Ok. Parts list while I am at it. What else am I missing?

Impeller
    coils (2)
    tank gasket

base gasket ?
    condensers (2)?
    carb kit ?

opposedtwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 968
    Topics: 259

sheet metal screws and ammonia. shake and shake and shake!!! I too have butchered my arms and wrists by reaching in there to do clean out, etc. the results will be worth it!

bullie

I took an old knee length hunting sock and cut finger holes in it. Made it a lot easier to scrub the inside when I wasn’t scraping all the hide off my wrists. I got it pretty clean, washed it out a few times, used some solvent to dry it out (don’t use carb cleaner!!), then coated the inside with oil. I think it will do. I have to get a new gasket for the tank as I destroyed the old one.

Oh, I was wrong about the sides. LOL Tougher to deal with than the bottom.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.