Home Forum Ask A Member New Toy CD-12 Tank Cleaning question

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    bullie
    Participant

I did reuse the points as they looked nearly new. I removed them and cleaned them up shiny. I drained the gearcase last night. I didn’t see any water at all. But, you never know. I doubt this one has been run in a long time. It just means the seals were good when it quit firing. I may have to reseal it.

tom-in-ri
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have cleaned rusty jerry cans to bright metal by pouring in 2 gallons of apple cidar vinegar and then adding another gallon or 2 of water. Let sit for a week or three.
        Lately the vinegar dip tank has been in use more than electrolysis. The only down side seems to be the time it takes to get the job done.

bullie
        Participant

I got her running. The new tools I ordered from Frank came in while I was with the wife in New Orleans. We caught City of New Orleans in Memphis, my first train ride. Major brownie points with the wife by the way. Except for the kidney stone that hit me while sitting in front of Steamboat Willie’s stage on Bourbon it was a good trip. Anyway, I passed that bad boy this morning and my outlook on life swung around about 180 degrees so I went to work.

I used Frank’s tools for the 1st time and found the points were set really close with the feeler gauge. But, now they are exactly right. I also used the alignment tool. Works as advertised. I am pleased with those tools and will use another one when I tackle the fittings on my other tank later this afternoon.
          She is running pretty good.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pFbkwgmHyw

fisherman6
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Runs really nice Mark. Good job! Glad you were able to pass that kidney stone. Yikes 😯 😮

I have Frank’s timing fixture and I love it. I can usually get real close with a feeler gage but the fixture is quicker and much better.
            -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

bullie
            Participant

I have done something wrong on the tank….no pressure.

fisherman6
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mark, when you say no pressure how are you checking for pressure? Tank connected to fitting on the motor and motor started and died? Is the primer pump working to prime the carb? Are either of the O-rings leaking at the fitting on the motor? How much fuel is in the tank when you are trying to run the motor? I have seen the video of this motor running so either it did work before or it was running on a different tank. Trying to figure out how to start helping.
                -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

1946zephyr
                Participant

Those old green Johnson 5 1/2’s are great motors and there are still lots of them out there. I had three at one time. I’m down to one now, that needs repaint bad. Have fun with that new toy. 🙂

bullie
                  Participant
                    quote Fisherman6:

Mark, when you say no pressure how are you checking for pressure? Tank connected to fitting on the motor and motor started and died? Is the primer pump working to prime the carb? Are either of the O-rings leaking at the fitting on the motor? How much fuel is in the tank when you are trying to run the motor? I have seen the video of this motor running so either it did work before or it was running on a different tank. Trying to figure out how to start helping.
                    -Ben

Ben,
                    This is a different tank. I got this one with the motor and have been attempting to recondition it myself. I purchased the tank used in the video from another club member prior to acquiring the motor.

The tank’s capacity is 4 gallons and it has 3 gallons of fresh gas in it. I pumped the primer (hose not attached to motor) and could not build up any pressure in the tank. If I do the same with my other tank, the one used it the video, it immediately begins building up pressure.

Doug Wilson
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

did you replace the diaphragm for the pump, gasket etc in the tank?

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
                      turned off?

fisherman6
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mark,
                        The primer pump button should build pressure in the fuel side of the line, but the crankcase pressure of the engine running is what actually pressurizes the tank. If you can pump the primer and not feel resistance or cause fuel to leak past the o ring in the fuel side of the tank fitting, then the tank needs to be rebuilt with new diaphragm and gaskets. I hope this helps. If not, maybe I’m not understanding everything correctly.
                        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 58 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.