Home Forum Ask A Member New toys! A pair of Martin 60s

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rob
    Participant

US Member

Hi,

I am a fairly new AOMCI member and I recently picked up a pair of Martin 60s. I am pretty stoked about the purchase; I think Martins look cool and I have been wanting one for a while. These do not appear to be saltwater motors but both need a lot of work. I don’t know anything about Martins and would appreciate some advise to help get me started.

A few questions:

1) Neither engine has the spark plug wires connected. I have no idea which coil goes to which cylinder. In the full stop position, the forward most coil goes which cylinder? Top or bottom?

2) One has a black tank and one has a silver tank? Are they both for the 60? Is one later than the other?

3) This is the weirdest outboard water pump I have ever seen. How on earth does it work? Is it finicky? Where is the tell tale?

OK, lots of questions, I know. And this is only day one with my new toys!

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and lend a little advise to this newbie!

Rob

Rob

wiscoboater
      Participant

The spark plug wire for the upper cylinder should have a little brass sleeve crimped around it down by the plug boot. Check these guys out, they are the Martin gurus. You can also look up your serial numbers on their site to find out the model and year of your motors. They have parts galore as well. Welcome to the club!
        http://martinoutboards.com/

phil-b
        Participant

I think Black tanks are older (1947-48?)

bobprock4200
          Participant

US Member

Rob: Welcome aboard! Well, I looked at my Martin manuals and they don’t really do a clear job of showing which lead goes to which plug, but as wannabe says, the one with the little metal sleeve goes to the top plug. If you don’t have a metal sleeve you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right. IE it will either run right or not. I’m not able to run out, pull the flywheel and actually look. 1950 was the year they switched from an all black with silver recoil to a silver top with black recoil. The decals are also different. As far as the water pump goes, it’s a "wobbler" type that is actuated by a cam on the prop shaft. The center will wear out and the pump won’t move enough to pump water. The teltales are located about halfway up the lower leg and you should get two streams of water spraying out. It won’t be a steady stream, particularly in a test tank, but some water should spray out. As wannabe also said, go to Russ Larson’s site at martinoutboards.com for all things Martin. A new water pump impeller is simple to put in and worth the expense. Coils are usually good, condensers are prone to failing. But they’re strong runners, idle like nobody’s business and have a real good power/weight ratio.

ronboonville
            Participant

Without pulling the flywheel, the wire that comes from the most forward goes to the bottom cylinder and is on the left or port side. the wire that exits the mag plate close to the rear goes to top and goes around the right side of motor, looking forward from the back. I had them backward and would only pop!

The Boat House
              Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
                • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by The Boat House.
                Rob
                Participant

US Member

Thanks guys!

Tubs, the minute I clicked ‘submit’ I realized that I could use your method. I felt silly for asking that question but then again I figured I might as well see what folks had to say on the subject. For all I know, someone might have said something ridiculous like "oh, Martins are the weird motor that only fires on every seventh revolution and they only use one coil for both cylinders. The other coil is a spare." 🙂

I appreciate the advise, everyone. I am learning as I go, and loving every minute of it!

Rob

Rob

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.