Newer Yamaha 50 HP 4-stroke question

Home Forum Ask A Member Newer Yamaha 50 HP 4-stroke question

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
    outbdnut2

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1286
    Topics: 67

Good thought – an efi motor would be good reliability, and he takes it a couple times a year into the “Boonies” in Canada for a week or two at a time. I think he’s been lucky with this carb motor so far because he bought this 2004 new and this is the first problem he’s had with it, other than ordinary maintenance – spark plugs and oil changes.
    Dave

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1249
    Topics: 41

He has been unbelievably lucky. Without reading this whole thread again, does he use non-ethanol fuel, or something? Some owners of engines of that vintage have carb problems almost every single year.

Long live American manufacturing!

outbdnut2

US Member - 2 Years

He uses 10% ethanol fuel because that is what’s available near his house. When winter comes, he adds a can of Seafoam to his 20 gallon boat tank, which is vented to the atmosphere like most all boat tanks, but he doesn’t add any other stabilizer. I’m amazed this has worked for him in unheated storage in Minnesota. I would expect some phase separation when the temp drops. Maybe the Seafoam somehow keeps the ethanol from absorbing humidity from the air like Stabil-Marine does?

Dave

outbdnut2

US Member - 2 Years

A quick update: He took this in to what is probably the largest marine dealer in Minnesota, and when he got it back, it still wasn’t right. I haven’t heard what they did to it. He has it back in their shop again.

The place where he bought it new in 2004 said they don’t work on motors that old. Stay tuned……..
    Dave

outbdnut2

US Member - 2 Years

Ok – here’s the end of the story. First time in to the dealer, they put a new fuel line with primer bulb on his 2004 Lund boat that has tank under the floor (I remember the primer bulb was getting marginal, felt like check valve was leaking some); installed a new battery, and checked out the motor (not sure if they did anything to it) but no new parts in it. Cost = $600. Still didn’t fix the problem. 2nd time in, told him it would cost $1,600 for carb work (maybe that’s 4 new carbs? At Crowley Marine online the 4 carbs range form $200 to $400 each depending on which carb). He traded it on a new, injected Yamaha 50 for around $6k.

You guys were right about the Yamaha carbs on that model! I’m glad I didn’t get involved tearing into them and learning on his motor!
    Dave

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3313
    Topics: 49

Yipes!!

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1249
    Topics: 41

Yeah, but if you had fixed it for free, he would have considered you such a good friend that he would have brought you a 12 pack and asked you to look at it again, next year, WHEN it acts up again!

When EFI first came out, I thought it was so complicated that it would be a nightmare. I was wrong. EFI on four stroke outboards is the way to go. Sure, if you don’t have a computer program, you’re at a disadvantage; but it is so much more reliable than carbs, that it’s worth it.

Long live American manufacturing!

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3313
    Topics: 49

Yeah, I guess carburetor reliability went down the toilet when all the emissions rules came about…Try to remember how horrible the carburetors were on the last of the cars that had them in the early 80s.

outbdnut2

US Member - 2 Years

That motor has one of the most complex-looking carb setups I’ve ever seen! Yeah I’m glad I didn’t learn on his boat, so I don’t have to periodically dig into the carbs. I do his oil and gear oil changes, grese fittings, etc. in the fall. He was paying a couple hundred each fall for this and “winterizing”.
    Dave

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.