Home Forum Ask A Member nitrile glove for fuel pump diaphragm….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

has anyone ever tried to cut up some nitrile gloves to cut up some diaphragms for the OMC square pumps

the 2 pump diaphragms look easy enough to reproduce being about 1. 25inch square of nitrile with a few holes

does it resist ??

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This topic was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by crosbyman.
      aquasonic
      Participant

US Member

That’s an interesting idea. There are many types of nitrile sheet for sale on the internet. The thin black disposable nitrile gloves probably would be too thin and they don’t seem to be all that fuel resistant anyway. You will need to find the right composition, thickness, and hardness (durometer).

Buna-N nitrile is used for the pressure tank connector o-rings, and also for the spaghetti seal in the gearcases of the 50’s and 60’s motors, so that might be a good starting point.

Thickness is easy enough to determine if you have a sample to check.

Hardness or durometer- comes in numbers like “60A or 70A” hopefully someone with more knowledge can help with this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-16-Comm-Grade-Buna-N-Rubber-Sheet-12-x12-Black-70A-E-JAMES-4070-1-16A/381935295993?hash=item58ed1e1df9:g:gkMAAOSw9hdaDzcG:rk:3:pf:0

Randy in Tampa
        Participant

It has been done before, a member of the AOMCI once posted it On ask a member, II don’t remember the details but he said it did work

Rotary valve Johnson’s Rule!

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

thickness is measuring at 0.25mm or about 1/124 inch in the kit I received it seems to be more common at 1 mm and up on the internet but i’ll try to locate some .

seakaye12
            Participant

US Member

Sure you can use gloves. I have used them and I can vouch for them if you have a simple fuel pump with a no-nonsense diaphragm. I bought mine off of ebay; referenced by an older post here. I can’t seem to find that old post right now….but here is a link to the seller:
              https://www.ebay.com/itm/One-pair-North-15-mil-Soft-Nitrile-LA153G-13-Durable-small-gloves-Size-7-New/254029814908

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by seakaye12.
              crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

great

I’ll try the orange box store….. they have nitrile glove….

thickness wise it is better than those medical type shop gloves
                that tear easy like balloons

Steve D
                Participant

I think this was the original older post mentioned that Ken W first posted a few years back. After seeing that I bought some and used them on the early OMC fuel pumps and they seemed to work fine. I soaked a piece in ethanol gas for more than 6 months and it held up fine. But one of the comments made about those was that they aren’t reinforced like some diaphragm material is and long term might be a problem. Ollie’s is always a good option.

http://www.pfs-ware.com/Parts/OllieParts.htm

fuel-pump-diaphragm-material

ollie

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Steve D.
                  crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

https://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/Nitrile-Nylon-Diaphragm-Material-0-3mm-0-4mm-and-0-5mmthk-Various-Sheet-sizes/231889237549?hash=item35fdacf62d:m:mOUEL3vDpm0hZc_j9zWgw3A:rk:3:pf:0

found this on ebay …. should have enough for my lifetime comes in . 3mm which is hopefully close enough

about 8×8 inches free shipping….for 20$cdn… same price as 1 rebuild kit

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by crosbyman.
                    billw
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

We have those green gloves at work. They are inexpensive but not your typical throw-away glove, either. I use them over and over. I use them to change fuel filters on a daily basis. They do seem to be very durable and at least fairly resistant to ethanol fuel. I can see where they might work well as diaphragms. Can’t wait to try it!

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.