Home Forum Ask A Member no washer behind castle nut on trailer bearing!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    opposedtwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I found no washer behind the big castle/spindle nut on my boat trailer as I was taking it apart to put new bearings in. they should be there, correct? the drawing on the reese kit has it on there. would any NAPA store carry them? are they a special size?

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

look at the cotter pin hole and see if it would take one. I have had both. the one without would not accept a cotter pin IF I used a washer on it.

opposedtwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I reassembled and there is enough play make me believe there should be some washers in there. who would sell/stock washers like these? they have to be big but are mostly hole. I have another pair from another trailer so I have a reference. I tried the local auto parts store (weaver) and they can’t get them and don’t stock them. etrailer.com has some but they have a flat edge on the round inside that must be for a spindle with a flat spot.

any ideas? probably will have to try McMaster carr.

legendre
          Participant

Is there a shallow axial groove cut through the threaded portion of the spindle?

That would be a dead giveaway, as the slot provides positive locus for a washer with a matching tab.

opposedtwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

no there’s not legendre. I have seen those before on cv shafts, etc

opposedtwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

etrailer.com has them for $0.49. perfect!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.