Home Forum Ask A Member northeast rivers

• This topic has 17 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by 76-j.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    wrenchero
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

hello all, i hope this is an appropriate question for this forum.i have several old outboards that many of you helped me fix.i would like to know if you know of any rivers in the northeast(maine,vermont,new hampshire,massachusetts,new york,connecticut) where i can take my 14 ft aluminum boat on long trips. thanks

mn

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by wrenchero.
      dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

HUDSON RIVER you can run for days. NYC to ALBANY more than 120 miles alone

todd281
        Participant

St Lawrence Seaway has allot to see and great fishing also. It would help if you told use what you consider a “long” trip , a few hours , more than a day , over a week, ect. Also how skilled are you handling boat , some of the rivers here in NYS can have a bit of a challenge [some whitewater]

wrenchero
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

i live on long island and have been boating for about 30 years. i go to maine every summer so anywhere in between.i was thinking a few hours trip.something scenic i guess,

mn

wrenchero
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

just like to get away from long island and new york city

mn

need2fish
              Participant

If you care to go further north, the Saranac River is a great ride. It’s about 80 miles long, most of it suitable for power. Aside from the great views, there are campgrounds and entire islands that you can rent fo a weekend,a grass river , and navigable rapids.

wrenchero
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

that sounds great.what state is that in

mn

davidk
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The Kennebec River in Maine. Great landing in Gardiner. Nice run down to Richmond where you can tie up at the town dock and walk across the street to Annabella’s Cafe for a great breakfast or lunch. Then run around Swan Island and back up to Gardiner, or further up to Hallowell for some ice cream. Beautiful run, with bald eagles flying overhead and sturgeon leaping out of the water.

https://youtu.be/ikUghLdYvQY

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by davidk.
                    crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Well …. if I was you I would keep away from any large surfaces including rivers facing a North North-West wind with a 14 footer …

as to South South West winds …. I once picked up a duck hunter at 4 A.M. flipped over on his 14 footer … he was heading out (west) to his duck blind and flipped. Lost his decoys, gun and all.

I am on lake ST-Francis (St-Lawrence river down from Massena NY ) Choppy waters is no place for a 14 footer !

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

wrenchero
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

mostly looking for a smooth windy narrow type river. the kennebec sounds nice.i didnt know you can take a power boat on it. i will most likely try it if i get up to maine this summer

mn

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.