Home Forum Ask A Member not a bad price for oldies…carb kit

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B083TS9GNS/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item $21.69 CDN

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by crosbyman.
      frankr
      Participant

US Member

I don’t know what that is in USD, but hey an aftermarket kit that includes a new float and free shipping! Very interesting.

gjonz
        Participant

Careful. I bought one similar. Looks like this has a plastic float. I used it in a 1958 5.5 hp Johnson and couldn’t get it to run right to save my life. The float was sinking and flooding the carb, and the gaskets disintegrated almost immediately.

I ended up getting an OMC kit and it ran perfectly. Video link below.

Greg

1958 Johnson 5.5 hp

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by gjonz.
          elgin2
          Participant

US Member

Looks like it takes a month for delivery?

oldemtr
            Participant

I bought a similar kit like that, with a float, but a different bowl gasket.
              Can’t attest to the float level issues, but I DID find that the new float needle jet / seat thread was cut wrong – Close, but it would not thread in !
              I had the right die, so I just re-cut the threads on the jet, and it screwed in fine then.
              I guess I’ll see about the rest of it, once I run it ………….

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I would stick with the OEM stuff….

oldemtr
                Participant

Here’s a kit from Amazon (Same kit is sold on Marine Engine) – WITH a float like that – Sold as genuine OMC / BRP:

https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Evinrude-Outboard-Carburetor-BRP/dp/B01FN0F02O

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0439071

So, how do you know, these days – How can you be sure you’re getting the real deal ?

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

can’t vouch for it (1 month delivery ) when I install it i’ll report on any mishaps u$ would be about $15

the Marine.com pricing is great but shipped to Canada plus exchange and taxes brings it to about $40+

tanks for comments i’ll be on the look out !

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

seakaye12
                    Participant

US Member

So far; from what I have read here and on other forums and in real life at the meets……the Chinese carb kits are of very poor quality and should be passed over in favor of the genuine OMC stuff; at least for the time being.

They are available on e-bay for under $10.00 at times….although the cheapest I can find right now is this one at $11.55 free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-Carb-Repair-Rebuild-Kit-For-Johnson-Evinrude-18-hp-20-hp-1957-1968/123203481584?epid=4020664794&hash=item1caf7feff0:g:dx4AAOSwDZ1bK1uZ:sc:USPSFirstClass!93110!US!-1

Still…..stay away. unless you just want to try one to satisfy your curiosity. Maybe eventually the quality will improve and they will include a fuel inlet seat that can actually be used without re-tapping the threads first!

David Bartlett
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Most of the time you get what you pay for! BRP for me!

David Bartlett
                        Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.