not a bad price for oldies…carb kit

Home Forum Ask A Member not a bad price for oldies…carb kit

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)

• crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3587
    Topics: 326

no problem… i’ll check them out…. yet so far I have been very satisfied with a dozen or so chinese BRP copy coils. what I’ll do is is soak the carb gasket and float in fuel for a few days and see what happens to the material .

update:I had 2 kits on order I modified the AMAZON order for 1 only kit to test out …but knowing from experience they . suppliers will ship out…then answer my e-mail that it is to late …

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by crosbyman.

aquasonic

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 634
    Topics: 42

I bought one of the Chinese made kits for $9.99 some time ago. I have not used it, but have heard plenty of complaints about the float needle seat threads and also the main gasket degrading quickly as-soon as it comes into contact with fuel. Another thing is the float is hollow, and may be molded from two halves, then cemented together.

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

Beware! It is one of the Chinese copycat kits and they can be purchased on Ebay for a lot less.

I bought a few of the offshore ‘OMC/BRP 439071’ kits off Ebay and when they arrived, they were not original but imposters! The ad showed OMC/BRP parts and packaging but when they arrived, the contents were something else. I brought this up on my buyer protection with Ebay and received a full refund from the seller and got to keep the kits. I’ve been using them up slowly but haven’t ran any motors with them installed long enough to see how they stand up. As mentioned before, the float valve seat does need to be run thru a dye as the threads are cut a bit proud and won’t screw into the carb body easily. Also, the plastic washers which go with the packing washers are too big in diameter to fit the carb. One sellers seal for the float valve is too thick and the float can’t be adjusted properly.

If these carbs ever come apart again, I’ll make sure I have OEM parts nearby in case the gaskets or the packing washers crumble. Have fun!

oldemtr

Replies: 55
    Topics: 8

OK –
    To rephrase my question – Everyone agrees that OEM is better, but does anyone have an online source for genuine OMC / BRP kits like this ?
    Other than some NOS stuff, that is.

bobw

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2447
    Topics: 56

I buy new OEM kits from either Marine Engine or Dusky Marine (duskyonline.com).

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
    1954 Johnson CD-11
    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1958 Johnson FD-12
    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

This club members carb kits appear to be the real McCoy. Best to call him to verify first.

https://maxrules.com/fixomccarb.php

Steve D

Replies: 694
    Topics: 57

I’ve bought OEM carb kits off ebay for $18-$25 with good float and free shipping….seems reasonable to me.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Johnson-Evinrude-OEM-Outboard-Carb-Kit-with-Float-439071-BRP-OMC-Carburetor/250782068693?epid=1337567878&hash=item3a63c6afd5:g:nvYAAOSwqp5eFQcj

carb-kit

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3587
    Topics: 326

Gentlemen thanks for all the heads up on the cheaper us prices but unfortunately my quest for cheaper pricing is an attempt to escape THE 35% EXCHANGE RATE (35%) plus Federal tax and provincial taxes rounded at 15% . Canada the land of free Medicare for all has its price 🙂

If they ship the kits without COVID19 in the bag that will be a plus 🙂

we are currently homelocked from the cottage with “out of territory” travel restrictions till further notice Country folks it seems do accept of real estate taxes payments…but no city folks 🙁

I’ll report back on the kits asaa

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.