Home Forum Ask A Member Not an antique or a classic, but…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    enrico-italy
    Participant

… for sure a rare motor.

A friend of mine gave me a 1980 Evinrude E12RS, a motor from the “worktwin” line, a sort of “frankie” obtained from a 9.9 powerhead, a Fisherman steering unit and a QD 21 leg/foot.

It is essentially like this:

12 rs engine" />

The motor starts and runs fine, but has the vertical throttle bracket broken and also the bracket support on intake cover is damaged.

I cannot find any part list or code number for the needed parts of this motor.

Only a 1988-89 VE 14 RS motor is listed on BRP site, but has a different (cable driven) throttle control

The following web image shows the parts i need:

The parts i need...

Someone has a source for the part list?

RICK EICHRODT
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Since it is a 1980 model year, it is considered a “classic” by AOMCI rules. Anything that is 30 years from the current year(2019) is considered a classic so from 1989 on back to 1950 is a classic. I think this motor is an European Commercial model hence you cannot find this model number listed.

Rick

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Very unique, cool motor! I knew they existed but had never seen one. So THAT’S what that weird, extra gasket in a 9.9/15 gasket set is for!

Long live American manufacturing!

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Have never seen one of these, except in advertising pictures….And you are right Bill, I have always wondered why there was that 10-18hp base gasket pictured in some gasket sets for 9.9-15s! I wonder if there is some sort of adapter between the powerhead and midsection, or if the powerhead casting is different…Cool…
            Enrico, so you need a new intake cover and vertical throttle rod?? Can’t really see the problems from your picture… Are you saying the parts are unavailable or is it that you just can’t find a parts book and part numbers….
            These odd commercial models can be tough to track down… Have you tried marineengine.com? I’m sure they can help you track down the numbers and pieces….
            Check the gearcase, make sure there is no water in it!

enrico-italy
            Participant

Many thanks for replies.

FYI, this motor ( and his following 14 RS sister) is a really “frankie” collection of older model parts.

The first 9-12 version used the complete QD leg/foot/steering groups, in the last updated versions of CD and MQ models.

The PH is essentially the 9.9 /15 one, except for the shift & gas linkage that required a different intake cover with bracket for vertical shaft as pictured. Also the start/throttle safety interlock is missing.

The lower motor cover acts also as adaptor flange between the leg and the PH, as in the Lightwin/Yachtwin 4 and has no rubber dumpeners.

There are no silencer in the leg, so the motor is very noisy.

The 10-14 series used a custom leg, that interfaces the PH to larger 18/25 gearcase (but with different gear ratio). This leg also has the 18/20 upper flange layout, and contains a silencer similar to the 18-20 one.

However, also the throttle line is modified, and uses now a push pull cable unit, different from the 9.9/15 or also 25 ones.

If You are interesting in more details, simply ask.

Bye

enrico-italy
              Participant

Enrico, so you need a new intake cover and vertical throttle rod?? Can’t really see the problems from your picture… Are you saying the parts are unavailable or is it that you just can’t find a parts book and part numbers….

Hi, the pic is not from my motor, but is a Internet source.

In my motor the vertical shaft is missing and the support bracket on the intake cover is broken.

I cannot find any other motor (i.e. 9.9-15 or 14VE) using the same parts, so I don’t know the code to search for on the web.

I will contact Marine Engine as suggested.

Many thanks

johnyrude200
                Participant

I have come across a few 14hp models and own one myself, only because it is such an oddity. They probably bumped it to a 14hp model because the gearcase and exhaust housing are from an 18/20 hp model with a 28hp gearcase (albeit, haven’t pulled it apart yet to look at the gearset).

Please post pictures of your motor. I have never seen (or even heard) of a 12hp model and the stock photo you have clearly shows an older fisheman (6hp)/10hp (pre 1964) exhaust housing. Quite the ‘yankee engineering) to marry the throttle/tiller shaft to the 9.9/15hp set up. And that stock photo shows the gearcase from a 10hp with the older 4 bolt (9.5/10hp) gearcase, also using the same housing as the 5.5/6hp motors.

I may have parts here to help you out if you can post some photos….

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, I seem to remember seeing the two versions of this engine, one with the small gearcase, the other with the 5 bolt gearcase. Still baffled as to how they married the 9.9 powerhead to the old style midsection, even with the pan used as an adapter….Just seems like it would be impossible to line up all the water tubes/exhaust/driveshaft, etc…

rapier
                    Participant

It’s possible, if this was a Europe only motor, that South Coast Marine based in Christchurch, UK, might have parts. Worthwhile giving them a call – they’re on the net.

glennb
                      Participant

International Member - 2 Years

Interesting to see and read about this 12hp Evinrude so I thought I’d share some photos of my 12hp Johnson Workhorse.
                        Runs nice, bought it in this condition a few years ago.
                        This one is in Queensland, Australia.

20191126_111641

20191126_111820

20191126_112048

20191126_112122

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Mumbles.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.