Not an outboard but a seafoam story ….

Home Forum Ask A Member Not an outboard but a seafoam story ….

This topic contains 24 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Avatar crosbyman 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
    crosbyman
    Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1173
    Topics: 156

We see lots of comments about the usefulness of Seafoam some good some bad

Well this winter my Honda 724 track snowblower was backfiring like a flame thrower . Searched the Net and the carb quickly became the prime suspect . I ordered a cheapy Honda carb ..not wanting to freeze my fingers .

While waiting for the Chinese carb to come in I added half a can of Seafoam to 1 gal of high octane gas. ….

After a run or two the carb stopped throwing flames out the carb and my Honda is smooth running again ..

now… I have a spare carb 🙂

lindy46
    lindy46
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 258
    Topics: 21

Seafoam is good stuff! I’ve had good results using it.

kerry
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 321
    Topics: 14

Last summer I bought a Lawnboy 2 stroke snowblower that the owner couldn’t start, for $10, I got it to fire with a shot of starting fluid and barely run on full choke. Added many times the recommended amount of Seafoam and shut it down after a minute so it could do its job. Net research said the carb was not a rebuild candidate, but a replacement was common. Since I had time, I waited on a carb and started it every week. After a month, it would run on half choke, by winter it ran fine. Its kept my driveway clear all winter. All of my power equipment gets Seafoam, and not one has had an issue, even using regular pump gas that likely has ethanol.

PugetSoundBoater
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 975
    Topics: 135

I have wondered what is in their formula?
    I use it at 1-2 oz per gallon on all my outboards and other small rarely used motors.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
    Robbie Robertson

crosbyman
    Canada Member - 1 Year

read somewhere it was something like 33% Naphta 33% diesel fuel and 33% moonshine to remove the water in the gas 🙂

Buccaneer
    Buccaneer
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 2919
    Topics: 817

Is SeaFoam as good as Stabil for keeping gas from go stale in storage?
    Time to put the snowmobiles away for a long nap!

Prepare to be boarded!

reivertom
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 595
    Topics: 31

It has saved me a carb tear down several times. Every year something get the treatment because it sat too long and the carb got gummed up.

kerry
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 321
    Topics: 14

I treat the 5 gallon can of gas I use for my lawn and garden equipment with Seafoam all year round, and store everything “wet”. Mower and snowblower are usually stubborn to start when they get woke up, but no issues afterwards. My routine for years, won’t change a thing, except I now buy Seafoam by the gallon at Menards.

crosbyman
    Canada Member - 1 Year

anybody tested the home brew version ??

Tubs
    Tubs
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 2168
    Topics: 124

“Read somewhere it was something like 33% Naphtha 33% diesel fuel and 33% moonshine.”

When I read things like this, rather that just assume its accurate, I will do
    a little investigating to see if I can learn if in fact it may be valid. That
    can involve a great deal of time but in this case it only took a few minuets
    to discover that it would appear “33% moonshine” is not part of the ingredient’s.
    If you go to their website it clearly states “Sea Foam only contains petroleum-
    based cleaning and lubricating ingredients”. Ethanol (moonshine)
    comes from the process of distilling corn. Defiantly not petroleum based.
    I can’t determine whether in fact the other ingredient are part of the
    formula but from what I have learned this doesn’t seem creditable. I don’t
    believe this ” Home Brew” would be harmful as a fuel additive but Sea
    Foam is also an oil additive. I don’t know of any case where adding ethanol
    to engine oil would be beneficial. If this was actually the formula for Sea
    Foam I suspect the cost of buying these ingredients separately would end
    up costing more than Sea Foam itself. Unless you have a still in the back yard
    where are you going to get straight grain, un-diluted alcohol?
    This Sea Foam story seem to be more fiction than fact.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by Tubs Tubs.
    crosbyman
    Canada Member - 1 Year

Tubbs,

when i used the term moonshine it was not seriously but a replacement to alchool the stuff we use in the winter in out gas tanks to absorb water which think seafoam does !

I certainly would not use up my “moonshine” to mix up a batch 🙂

Tubs
    Tubs
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 2168
    Topics: 124

Methanol is a form of alcohol that can be produced from
    natural gas making it a petroleum product. It has the same
    water absorbing qualities as ethanol. There are others that
    could be part of the Sea Foam formula giving it the ability
    to absorb moisture but again going to the Sea Foam website
    they don’t make any claim about removing water. Methanol
    would be somewhat easier to get than straight ethanol but
    I still suspect you’ll spend more than just buying Sea Foam
    itself. So for me I still question how accurate the home brew
    formula is or if would even be worth it.

chris-p
    Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 2455
    Topics: 157

Its like $10 a can in my area. Not worth trying to replicate myself! Cheap enough to get the real thing.

jerry-ahrens
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1016
    Topics: 70

I have outboards come through the shop fairly often that have gummed up carburetors. The owner tries an additive in the gas, then goes out and runs up and down the lake in an attempt to clean the carburetor, that has plugged or restricted passages. Since all fuel must pass through the high speed jet, (along with the lubricating oil!) then up through the main well and through the low speed jet, (even smaller in size) the owner ends up with a scored cylinder, and ruins the power head. Of course, I always check the compression first, and if low, I take a gas sample. I’ve learned to spot the ”look” of certain additives in fuel, and often times I find out that the customer tried 2 cans of magic additive, thinking he can really fix it quick. Since I own and operate a marine repair shop, I’ve seen a lot of this sort of thing. Lots of engines have been running for years with proper maintenance and care, and without magic additives. Nothing beats a good carb overhaul and cleaning.. Just my humble opinion, respectfully

outboardnut
    outboardnut
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 415
    Topics: 322

seafoam has a marine type

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.