Home Forum Ask A Member Not Boat related – Allis Chambers Carb Questions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    billy-t
    Participant

Okay so cleaning out a carb from my brothers 1950ish allis chambers tractor. O n the bottom bowl the nut that covers the high speed jet is stripped with a slight crack. I am thinking I can use JB weld and seal it permanently and patch the crack too so it doesnt leak gasoline. The carb is cast iron.

I was wondering if the 3m847 would be an option to secure the bolt, or would it stand up to the gasoline enviroment over time.

Could the cast body be retapped to a larger sized bolt?

Thanks for any advice anyone cares to provide.

Bill

amuller
      Participant

I don’t really understand the question. What make of carb is it? Can you provide a pic?

billy-t
        Participant

Its a zenith carb 225621.

I dont have a good way to post a picture and am at work, dont tell the boss.

The long and short is there is a removable bolt at the bottow of the carb that give access to the high speed jet and the bolt hole is stripped. I dont really want to have to buy a 500 dollar carb for a 400 dollar tractor so just wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to do a work around.

dave-bernard
          Participant

US Member

Heli-Coil it

billy-t
            Participant

right, good suggestion will that be gas proof?

amuller
              Participant

So it’s not the gland for an adjustable main jet, it’s an access port for cleaning or changing the main jet, or draining the float bowl? This should not be a big problem. You could drill and tap for 1/4″ pipe thread. Or drill and tap for a one-size-larger machine screw and seal with a gasket (if there is a suitable gasket surface machined onto the carb). But I’m a little concerned about the crack you mention. Can you tell how far it extends from the threads?

labrador-guy
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

B-T you know you need to take the jet out to get the float bowl of that carburetor? If you glue the adjusting needle in the bowl, it will be nearly impossible to get the float bowl off. Do you have a lawn and garden place around where you live that might have a used float bowl? I have three tractors around my house and I know exactly what you are talking about. Not gonna be an easy fix for sure. With the adjustment needle out, look up the hole and you will see the jet. Need a flat tip screw driver to take it out then the bowl will come off. Maybe take the old bowl and start looking at older lawn and garden shops for a used one. The up draft carb was used on a number of lawn tractors a bunch of years ago.. Maybe you will get lucky and find one.

dale

green-thumbs
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Is the carburetor a Zenith similar to one in photos?

Is the problem with the plug in the bottom of carburetor shown in photos?

Zenith was a French carburetor used on Ford Model A and B and a wide variety of tractors. and other engines. Same basic design with variations to suit application. Model A Ford sites cover variation used on Fords.

Thread and crack repair may be possible with a product similar to
                    JB Weld that is more resistant to gasoline/alcohol.

IMG_9024

IMG_9017

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by green-thumbs.
                    • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by green-thumbs.
                    • This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Mumbles.
                    billw
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

This is your conscience speaking. I’m sure the JB Weld will work for awhile, until the moment it doesn’t. You KNOW it’s going to happen. Plan for that moment. Will the gas leak out onto the ground, away from anything hot or any kind of ignition source, like a starter motor? Do you garage the tractor? If there is any possible way the gas would ever leak onto anything but a cold frame or the ground, I would definitely not try it. I’d rather spend $500 than be in the burn ward. However, I am sure there are other carbs or parts out there you could replace the cracked part with, for less money than that.

Long live American manufacturing!

jeff-register
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Another option is go to a place that does micro-welding, but not a jewler, they want too much $$! Cast iron is hard to work with to begin with. Some stores will heat up the body then weld the crack. To start I would look under Ford antique parts for a replacement, also find out if this crack is common. With cast iron pistons I bet they would shake out fillings.
                        Knew of a guy who replaced with balanced aluminum piston / cast crank shaft & he could get 60MPH out of the little 4 banger

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.