Home Forum Ask A Member o-ring seal for JW weedless gearcases

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Been waiting 6 weeks for an O ring to seal a mid 50,s JW gearcase

Apparently….only BRP original o-ring,s can do the job…..????

is this true …apparerently not even Sierra makes them

I know BRP will soak me for such a rare item 🙁

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

dan-in-tn
      Participant

US Member

Part #301917 list for .99! That is not what I call getting soaked. Sierra does not show a cross. I am sure a substitute can be found, but not sure how much time I would spend looking for one unless I was going to do a whole herd of 3hp JWs. Hope that helps.

Dan in TN

frankr
        Participant

US Member

I have no idea what size it is, but if it is a standard size (measure it) and you want to buy a bunch of them, then look at http://www.mcmaster.com

1946zephyr
          Participant

Six weeks? That’s ridiculous. Vintageoutboard would have had a kit to you within a week

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Well I ordered 2 oĂŻl seals (prop and drive along with the oring seal.) The dealer was out of orings so he put in an order but his distributor did not quickly supply him with the requested parts being winter time here.

It seems…. The distributor needed at leats $500 in various parts to order the oring along with the rest to make it worth his while to process .

Anyhow… the oring is apparently on the way but…. the dealer said only BRP had them in stock

I have 2 JW

I expected to be soaked (relatively speaking) on such a rare part !!!

dan-in-tn
              Participant

US Member

It is not a rare part, just an oring. You are caught up between a dealer and distributor problem. MarineEngine.com has 10+ @ .99. I am sure some shipping would be involved, but how much could it be for 2 orings! Sorry you are experiencing problems.

Dan in TN

cajuncook1
                Participant
                  cajuncook1
                  Participant

You could give member Ed Elliot a call or email or pm. I think he still sells parts. He is very fair with prices and ships quick. Glad he is a member and a nice guy to deal with.

Cheers,

David T.

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

well my gearcase oring sel part #19 came in !! $1.99 canadian 6-8 weeks after

seals for the drive shaft and prop shaft were $8.50 each

total with taxes rounded up at $20

Deamar Inc 5 minutes from the dealer had orings !!! ….ID 1.5 inches O.D. 1.75 inches width .139 inch +/- .004
                      but since I did not have proper dimentions it would have been hard to shop for one.

Now I know the dimentions

onward…! to fix my JW

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.