Home Forum Ask A Member OB64A Neptune Magneto Blues Review

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    jcrigan
    Participant

The Waterwitch twin and the Lauson twin both used that same coil. Or you could use a coil from an older 4 cylinder motorcycle with a 6 volt battery.

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

The Waterwitch twin and the Lauson twin both used that same coil. Or you could use a coil from an older 4 cylinder motorcycle with a 6 volt battery.

Thanks, good to know about the Lauson coils. I have two, one for parts, so there’s a chance I cold rob
        a coil from one!

Prepare to be boarded!

joecb
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The Lausons are notorious for melting coils. Air cooled motor run too slow for too long a period is supposed to be the culprit. I know for a fact that the John Deere pony coil retro into the Lauson Eisemann 72 mag will work. Member here in Great Lakes has done it successfully.

Joe B

Buccaneer
          Participant

The Lausons are notorious for melting coils. Air cooled motor run too slow for too long a period is supposed to be the culprit. I know for a fact that the John Deere pony coil retro into the Lauson Eisemann 72 mag will work. Member here in Great Lakes has done it successfully.

Joe B

Joe, good to know the pony coil I bought will fit in the 6 hp Lauson. I’d have to butcher
            the mag plate to get it to fit the Neptunes.

Prepare to be boarded!

The Boat House
            Participant

Buccaneer
              Participant

Thanks Tubs, looks like there’s more options that I imagined.
                I’m guessing the Harley coil is a little more spendy than the
                Onan repo coil, but it sure has more class!

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
                Participant

Update- I robbed the coil from the OB34A 4 hp Neptune, and put it
                  on the OB64A 6 hp Neptune, and now appear to have great spark!
                  It’s ready to try out, but that 10″ of wet sloppy snow from yesterday
                  is raining off the garage roof, right over the test barrel. Suppose to
                  be 20 degrees warmer Tuesday anyway.

I’m “re-thinking” about trying the pony coil, but now for the 4 hp Neptune.
                  To get the plug wires to exit the coil and through the mag plate, I’d
                  have to pull out the grommets and notch out the mag plate in the area
                  shown in the photo. (hopefully neater than my free hand drawing!)
                  Perhaps it wouldn’t be too much of a butcher job, and if it
                  actually worked, I’d be happy. I’d still have to further whittle down the
                  lamination, as the Pony coil hole is 7/16″ square.
                  Only hesitation is that the B&S coil swap attempt was a total failure,
                  and I have no idea why, less it’s the difference in design of the laminations.
                  Not really sure what a JD Pony coil laminate look like either.

DSCN7728

DSCN7729

DSCN7730

DSCN7727

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
                  Participant

Update- I robbed the coil from the OB34A 4 hp Neptune, and put it
                    on the OB64A 6 hp Neptune, and now appear to have great spark!
                    It’s ready to try out, but that 10″ of wet sloppy snow from yesterday
                    is raining off the garage roof, right over the test barrel. Suppose to
                    be 20 degrees warmer Tuesday anyway.

I’m “re-thinking” about trying the pony coil, but now for the 4 hp Neptune.
                    To get the plug wires to exit the coil and through the mag plate, I’d
                    have to pull out the grommets and notch out the mag plate in the area
                    shown in the photo. (hopefully neater than my free hand drawing!)
                    Perhaps it wouldn’t be too much of a butcher job, and if it
                    actually worked, I’d be happy. I’d still have to further whittle down the
                    lamination, as the Pony coil hole is 7/16″ square.
                    Only hesitation is that the B&S coil swap attempt was a total failure,
                    and I have no idea why, less it’s the difference in design of the laminations.
                    Not really sure what a JD Pony coil laminate look like either.

DSCN7728-1

DSCN7729-1

DSCN7730-1

DSCN7727-1

Prepare to be boarded!

The Boat House
                    Participant

Buccaneer
                      Participant

I didn’t even notice the link before. That’s pretty cheap.
                        I started altering the mag plate and the lamination
                        to mount the pony motor coil. Stay tuned to see if
                        that works better than the B&S coil!

Click on the eBay Link I Posted

$15.00 + $8.75 Shipping.

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.