Home Forum Ask A Member Oil to use?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    antczak
    Participant

Hi Folks!!

My old 1949 Evinrude 3.3 hp. sport twin calls for 40 wt. engine oil in the gas. Back in 1949 I’m sure that worked. But today with all the new oils for 2 cycle motors, what should I be mixing, and how much to one gallon? 24:1? 40:1? 50:1??

Thanks!!
      Jeff………………….

labrador-guy
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a 54 3.3hp, it is not to much different than you 49. I run TCW3 synthetic oil at 20 to one and it does fine. Those automotive oil that they used to recommend made carbon in the exhaust build up like crazy! Synthetic oils are better for the water we play in and we should all remember that. Big controversy on this website about oil and the ratio. Your old motor has no ball bearings of any type. The thought is more oil is better. My humble opinion is, extra oil just goes out the exhaust.

dale

Anonymous

16 to 1 TCW3 oil. for none bearing motors.

mabratton
          Participant

So not exactly an oil question but related, gasoline. I recently purchased a Johnson 1940 HS-15 and had an old outboard mechanic tell me I will need to go to the air port to buy gas. Could someone comment on what octane to run in this motor.

frankr
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Lots of us use regular 87 octane unleaded pump gas. Others insist on Ethanol-free gas. Let the debate rage on.

The Boat House
              Participant

mabratton
                Participant

thank’s

phil
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

100LL (low lead) avgas has lead, a toxin in it, tho only half as much as auto gas did back in the day….

http://www.omc-boats.org
                    http://www.aerocraft-boats.org

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.