Home Forum Ask A Member Old Evinrude outboard

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    itchy
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Just bought an old Evinrude and trying to identify it. It is an opposed cylinder twin, rope start, short tiller handle that
      pushes in and pulls out. There is a number on a plate below the carburetor just above where the motor enters the
      transom. It shows N 11033. No other numbers and I don’t know if that is the serial number or model number. The
      Flywheel says Evinrude but no numbers. Big spark plugs are upright and the speed lever contains a push plate on top.
      Any idea what I have here. It is froze up. Otherwize seems complete other than being dirty and neglected.

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Pictures will make identifying it so much easier…

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

dmbono
        Participant

sounds like a model N sport twin

itchy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for help -I’ll take photos and include.

oldelto
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

1926 Evinrude Sportwin N as per serial number

itchy
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Wow! Thanks so much! I’m a Johnson guy and found this at a swap meet. Don’t know much about it but going to find out
                a whole lot more. I knew it was old but not that old. Will have fun with it.

legendre
                Participant
                  quote itchy:

Just bought an old Evinrude and trying to identify it. It is an opposed cylinder twin, rope start, short tiller handle that
                  pushes in and pulls out. There is a number on a plate below the carburetor just above where the motor enters the
                  transom. It shows N 11033. No other numbers and I don’t know if that is the serial number or model number. The
                  Flywheel says Evinrude but no numbers. Big spark plugs are upright and the speed lever contains a push plate on top.
                  Any idea what I have here. It is froze up. Otherwize seems complete other than being dirty and neglected.

Howdy Itchy,

I take it you’re Japanese? 😉

Congrats on the old motor find. I have no idea what year it is, but before you get too worried about it being stuck, I’d suggest you begin the standard motor un-sticking procedure.

Pull the plugs, shoot something good (like Kroil, or another quality product) into the plug holes. Use plenty of it, and use if often – every couple of days. If the plug holes allow, stick a hardwood dowel into a plug hole, push it up against the piston crown and give it a few sharp raps with a medium hammer. Do this as often as ye think of it, in memory of the a-holes who wrecked my TD20 because they couldn’t tell a sticky-stuck motor from a hard seizure.

If you can’t get the right geometry for the dowel via the plug hole, then pull one or both of the heads – and go that way.

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

It was designed by a group headed by Walter Zinn, who bought Evinrude from Chris Meyer in 1922.

. . . . . . 😀

itchy
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you Legendre. I’m not Japanese however really appreciate your comments on loosening up that "stuck". I’ve pulled the plugs and shot 50/50 mix of automatic transmission fluid and acetone in. The spark plug holes are on top of the cylinder instead of the end so a dowel doesn’t work. There isn’t a removable head as on newer motors either. So, I will let the mixture
                      work for awhile – changing the gook for new. I will get it loosened up. And, again thank you.
                      Also thank you Garry for the news article and photos. That will certainly be helpful.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.