Home Forum Ask A Member Old Magneto Identification

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

Can anyone positively identify these mags as to which motors they came off? I’m pretty sure the first one is from a Johnson single and the twin coil one is possibly Evinrude or Elto but I don’t have a clue what the Eisemann is from.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments:

stanley
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Top one Johnson,bottom Lockwood?

chris-p
        Participant

Yup looks just like my Lockwood Chief mag

pm-t2
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

The magneto with the twin coils appears to have been monkeyed with. I dare say it was originally meant to be installed on a four-cylinder motor, most likely an Evinrude, so could be Zephyr, Lightfour, SportFour, Speedifour, Big Four. I’d bet one of the smaller 4’s if I had to put money on it. One set of points has been eliminated, and there are four holes for spark plug leads in the plate itself. Each coil is meant to fire two plugs, somebody has grounded out a high tension lead on each coil. I venture that whoever did the work was trying to get this magneto to function on an alternate firing twin. Just my two cents. Hope this helps.

Best,
            PM T2

Mumbles
            Participant
              quote PM T2:

The magneto with the twin coils appears to have been monkeyed with. I dare say it was originally meant to be installed on a four-cylinder motor, most likely an Evinrude, so could be Zephyr, Lightfour, SportFour, Speedifour, Big Four. I’d bet one of the smaller 4’s if I had to put money on it. One set of points has been eliminated, and there are four holes for spark plug leads in the plate itself. Each coil is meant to fire two plugs, somebody has grounded out a high tension lead on each coil. I venture that whoever did the work was trying to get this magneto to function on an alternate firing twin. Just my two cents. Hope this helps.

Best,
              PM T2

Good eyes T2! I see now how it very possibly could have originally been off a quad of some sort. The next time I have it out, I’ll compare it to some early and late model Zephyr/Light Four mag plates.

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

1934/35 Evinrude Lightwin Imperial – – – 🙂

Mumbles
                Participant

That makes more sense. Thanks Garry!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.