Home Forum Ask A Member Old Mercury Outboard that had no neutral

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Gary Schmitz
    Participant

I know these existed because I owned one back in the 80’s. I believe they were made in the 60’s.. I believe the had a nickname like “suicide” or something people used about them. I was telling a friend about it and he doesn’t believe me. When you started the engine, depending where you had the shifter set, you just went.. You couldn’t warm up the engine other than to tie the boat to strong dock.

Can anyone verify this and where I can find something to prove my story.

it would be great, thank you

Gary

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

yes they were started 1957 with the Mark 75.

frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Nickname was “Dockbuster”. And a few others.

JayzonAych
          Participant

“Direct reversing” or “DR” is what Mercury called them. 57-61 … I have a 60 Merc 700 DR on a 1960 Glasspar as proof they exist.

JayzonAych
            Participant

The way the DR worked for Fw and Rv is all timing and engine rotation direction. The control box killed the engine when throttle lever in the middle/idle area then there is a button on throttle lever to start the engine in the direction the lever was positioned. When properly adjusted you can only start it at low speed. When out of adjustment you can start it full speed, 60-85hp in all …This is when docks got “busted” and they became infamous. It is certainly a learned coordination effort.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by JayzonAych.
              jeff-register
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Carl thought a shift type would not hold up to the 6 cylinder. Direct reversing was not new to 2 strokes. I remember around 1957 at grandparents home the lawn mower would run backwards without any help.

Gary Schmitz
                Participant

Thank you for all the replies.. They all told me what “I” already knew.. just couldn’t find the data to back me up.. but I did now.

Thank You

jeff-register
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The cistributer drive, by a drive belt had about 25% slop in the drive to distributer mating. When reversing the timing would retard to start reverse rotation. The water pump would pump in either direction.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.