Home Forum Ask A Member OMC 10HP Weight

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ko4nrbs
    Participant

I need an older OMC outboard for a boat that has a 56lb. limit on the outboard’s weight. I have owned and used several Johnson outboards from the 60’s and would like to use one on this boat. Is there an Evinrude or Johnson outboard that meets the 56lb. limit with reasonable power for a 14 foot boat?

Being able to troll with it would be a requirement as well.
      Bill

westwind
      Participant

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

The 1956 7.5 HP Johnson is listed at 56 lbs, in 57/8 it picked up a couple pounds. The 10 hp is about 70 lbs, it 58 they went to a lighter lower unit but still coming in at 67lbs.

Mumbles
        Participant

5.5 – 6 horse motors thru the seventies fit that weight limit.

I wonder why the boat is rated for maximum weight on the transom instead of maximum horsepower?

ko4nrbs
          Participant
            quote Mumbles:

5.5 – 6 horse motors thru the seventies fit that weight limit.

I wonder why the boat is rated for maximum weight on the transom instead of maximum horsepower?

It’s a portable boat.
            https://www.porta-bote.com/specifications-colors/

I spend a couple of months in Florida every winter and need something to crappie fish in. No way to pull a boat trailer with my Honda Fit. Honda says no towing at all with it.

Bill

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

If the motor weight is that critical, I wonder if they have a max weight for the driver sitting next to the motor?
              Dave

westwind
              Participant

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I was looking at some info for a 1934 Evinrude Light Four Imperial, 9.2 HP, weighs 55lbs……

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, if you are not worried about the age of the outboard, the 80s OMC 6-8hp models are light weight and outperform the older 7.5s…

auldscott
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The Porta-Bote webpages show motors in use that weigh a bunch more than 56 lbs. Dunno whether Porta-Botes are rated for max HP but if they are, that would be the determining factor. And I know you said OMC, but you ain’t ever trolled until you’ve trolled with a four-stroke – which in the smaller sizes are a whole lot lighter than they used to be.

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

The early ’50s Evinrude Fleetwin weighs 47 pounds, is rated at 7-1/2 horse power. it does well on a light boat. It has a slight problem with the top connecting rod requiring a half a pint to the gallon in fuel mix The later shift model is heavier, more quiet and more dependable. The late ’60s 9-1/2 weighs 50 pounds and puts out an honest 8+ prop shaft horse power. It is more quiet, but rubber parts are getting hard to find. . . 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.