Home Forum Ask A Member OMC 3 cyl Trim and Tilt

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mgsolakis
    Participant

Does anyone know if a trim and tilt from a 3 cyl 65 hp OMC motor will be compatible with a 3 cyl 75 hp of around the same year? It’s a 1979 motor. Both the motors look the same.

Thanks

dan-in-tn
      Participant

US Member

I was hoping to see you on here again. After the boards crashed I lost all your info and had no way to contact you. This is the same guy who wanted the TNT unit in Canada, right? I came across the unit in my garage the other day and it is still your for the taking. Now it is for a 1978 and newer 3 cylinder OMC. Just send me a PM or your info.

Dan in TN

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I don’t think OMC made a 65hp in the later 70s, but ya never know…
          In any event, the last year for the 65hp was in 1973, and its midsection was different, so a trim/tilt unit from a 1973 65hp will NOT fit on a later 70s 75hp with a 20" shaft.
          Give Dan a PM, he has a TNT unit for you.

chinewalker
          Participant

US Member

That is correct, the trim units changed about 1978. You can add a unit from most 3-cyl., V4 and V6 models from the late 1970s on up to the early 1990s. Make sure you get the appropriate wiring harness for it, as earlier systems used a 3-wire pump motor (UP/DOWN/GROUND), which was changed to a 2-wire system (UP/DOWN) beginning in 1982. Simply put, if the pump motor is external to the clamp brackets, it won’t work for you.

mgsolakis
            Participant

So to keep it symple I need the 2 wire system where the pump motor is integral to the trim and tilt clamp.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, either the two wire or three wire motor systems will work. But, the wiring harness is different for the two systems.
                I’m afraid I am causing more confusion than necessary, give Dan a call, he knows what style motor he has on his particular unit and which wiring harness it will need.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.