OMC 584477 coils made in Hong Kong?

Home Forum Ask A Member OMC 584477 coils made in Hong Kong?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
    daveh

Replies: 6
    Topics: 4

So, I was about to pull the trigger on some OEM coils for the latest project, since I’m out of the good German made coils.
    I noticed that the OMC coils are made in Hong Kong.
    That being said, are they really any better than what’s being sold aftermarket now, since those are made over there too?

Screenshot_20191129-201801_eBay

• This topic was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Avatardaveh.
    • This topic was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by MumblesMumbles.
    Attachments:
    frankr
    frankr

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 4582
    Topics: 43

I would like to believe they are made to OMC/BRP Specifications and meet Quality Control checks. I hope.

daveh

Replies: 6

Well, they do have a quality check sticker on the side, but that still doesn’t ease my mind. The Hong Kong thing worries me a bit.
    If that’s the best I can find, I guess I’ll try em and see how they are.

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3305
    Topics: 30

I vividly recall what happened when OMC started outsourcing to reduce expenses . . . It also reduced quality! On the other hand, in 10 years Hong Kong will be under water.

Ken Smith
    Ken Smith

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 30
    Topics: 7

I’ve tried them in a couple of motors. So far so good.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1291
    Topics: 175
    Mumbles
    Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4234
    Topics: 427

The question should be, has anyone experienced a failure yet with the cheaper Chinese coils?

I’ve installed around fifty of them and so far, so good. Your mileage may vary.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 1 Year

about just … 6 for me and no issues

Tubs
    Tubs

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 2493
    Topics: 149
    billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1055
    Topics: 38

The question should be, has anyone experienced a failure yet with the cheaper Chinese coils?

I’ve installed around fifty of them and so far, so good. Your mileage may vary.

I had a failure of the cheap coils. I put a pair on an 18 Evinrude. Fired it up in a tank and it ran well. Launched the boat less than a quarter mile and 10 minutes later, and one just up and died, never to return. Came back home, went through a thorough troubleshooting process and it was the coil, without a doubt, that failed. I put a good used one in it’s place and the engine ran fine for hours after that.

Long live American manufacturing!

crosbyman

Canada Member - 1 Year

certainly possible for anything to fail but it would appear that in general these coils are fine. It would seem that BRP arrived at that same conclusion if they decided to outsource these things to HK .
    jmho

wbeaton

Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 705
    Topics: 77

I think the cheap coils on eBay are seconds. Meaning they didn’t pass QAQC the first time. I’ve bought a few dozen of them now and find the build quality between coils to be inconsistent. They still work fine. I haven’t had any failures yet.

Wayne
    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

kirkp

Replies: 60

I haven’t bought any of these coils recently but have been considering it for use on non-OMC motors. I’ve noticed in pictures (and maybe read it somewhere) that some coils use epoxy or something to glue the winding to the laminates. This is in lieu of the metal tab that is bent over to hold the winding on. Is it possible to get these windings off or should I make sure to get coils with the metal retainer tab?
    Thanks
    Kirk

wbeaton

Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 705
    Topics: 77

The Chinese coils are indeed epoxied to the laminates. You have to be careful pressing them off. I have used them for a number of coil swaps now and haven’t irreparably damaged any.

Wayne
    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Tubs
    Tubs

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 2493
    Topics: 149

The green Chinese coils that I posted a link to are not epoxies to the laminates.
    I mostly use them as substitutes for coils that are no longer available modifying
    the laminates to make them fit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.