Home Forum Ask A Member OMC 584477 coils made in Hong Kong?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

certainly possible for anything to fail but it would appear that in general these coils are fine. It would seem that BRP arrived at that same conclusion if they decided to outsource these things to HK .
      jmho

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

wbeaton
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I think the cheap coils on eBay are seconds. Meaning they didn’t pass QAQC the first time. I’ve bought a few dozen of them now and find the build quality between coils to be inconsistent. They still work fine. I haven’t had any failures yet.

Wayne
        Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

kirkp
        Participant

I haven’t bought any of these coils recently but have been considering it for use on non-OMC motors. I’ve noticed in pictures (and maybe read it somewhere) that some coils use epoxy or something to glue the winding to the laminates. This is in lieu of the metal tab that is bent over to hold the winding on. Is it possible to get these windings off or should I make sure to get coils with the metal retainer tab?
          Thanks
          Kirk

wbeaton
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

The Chinese coils are indeed epoxied to the laminates. You have to be careful pressing them off. I have used them for a number of coil swaps now and haven’t irreparably damaged any.

Wayne
            Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

The Boat House
            Participant

wbeaton
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I bought the black Chinese coils. Tubs’ link didn’t work for me. I’d be interested in coils that weren’t epoxied.

Wayne
                Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

seakaye12
                Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I bought the black Chinese coils. Tubs’ link didn’t work for me. I’d be interested in coils that weren’t epoxied.

The link Tubs posted worked for me; the ebay item number is

You can search that way if the link does not function for you. The e-bay seller is Doug Russel.

kirkp
                  Participant

Thanks Tubs. They only have the one picture so wasn’t sure.
                    Kirk

wbeaton
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Thanks, seakaye12. I’ve seen those coils before. They are too expensive for me once you add exchange and shipping. The last round of black coils I bought were $10 USD each with free shipping.

Wayne
                      Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

fisherman6
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The OEM coils manufactured in HK are superior in quality to the cheap black coils purchased direct from HK on Ebay branded Zhongfadz. I have had good luck with the current production BRP / OEM coils. I have used quite a few of the Zhongfadz coils also. I have not yet experienced a failure with them, but I will say that it takes more flywheel RPM to make them spark. It is not easy to notice this on motors 10HP and under in most cases. I know they made my rope start RD-16 a real bear to start. I swapped them out for a set of German coils in that motor and it made a world of difference. I don’t mind the cheapies in small motors at all, but I like to use the OEM coils especially in my 18s and up. I have been running a 56 Evinrude Fastwin 15 with Zhongfadz coils in it for 2 summers now without issue. I do think it would be easier to start with OEM, but it isn’t difficult so I keep running them to see if they keep working.
                        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.