OMC Binnacle/verticle control schematics/instructions/manual

Home Forum Ask A Member OMC Binnacle/verticle control schematics/instructions/manual

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)

• johnyrude200

Replies: 782
    Topics: 186

Does anyone have a copy of these I can use for reference?

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Depending on which binnacle control you mean, there may be a parts list at marineengine.com.

johnyrude200

I’m more interested in wiring & testing schematics. I know it’s not all that complicated, but it’s always nice to have some reference material when I get forgetful to save time, or just generally have fog on the brain.

T2stroke was kind enough to send me a few sets of complete service manuals for late 80’s, 90’s, and early 00 motors, and one of the books talks about the garden-variety control box, but I couldn’t find a binnacle control section. Maybe it’s right in front of me and I’m not finding it but any help would be appreciated…as usual!

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Well, OMC made separate "accessory manuals" back then that would have included schematics for the binnacle mount controls. The wiring is really the same though, the shift interlock switches are just located a little farther away from the key switches.
    Is there a particular binnacle mount box that you have questions about, it is not my intent to generalize/over simplify.

dan-in-tn

Replies: 961
    Topics: 78

All of OMC wiring color codes are the same from the beginning of tIme. If you are talking about the mechanical parts of the box, go to OMC System Matched Parts Lookup. At the bottom of the page it will say parts books schematics. Click on that, ignore the email request and chose Johnson or Evinrude in English or French. After that you can look at any year from 1968 to 2011 and accessories. All accessories, all control boxes. Part numbers, but no prices. Go to ME for that. Hope that helps!

Dan in TN

dan-in-tn

Sorry, Google OMC System Matched Parts Lookup.

Dan in TN

johnyrude200

sounds like I was overthinking this one. I have 5-6 of these, some complete, some in pieces…just trying to get one unit together to mount on my pontoon boat console (which I fabricated out of aluminum myself).

johnyrude200

So I put one of these together tonight (from several parts boxes) that works and retrofit the harness to work on a pre ’95 motor. My question is, when you go to start the motor, does the box allow for a slight advancement of the throttle to get the motor to kick over?

Or is it a situation where when you try to throttle up, the neutral switch turns on and kills off the ignition.

The regular boxes have the provision to advance throttle slightly while in neutral, but I’m not seeing anything like that for a binnacle box.

dan-in-tn

The advancement of the throttle has nothing to do with it. Shifting gears is what stops the engine from cranking. The ignition system is not involved. Depending on which box you have you either have a button you push down while advancing the lever for faster throttle in neutral. The other style you pull out on the shift lever and advance the throttle I think. I may have this confused with the concealed side mount controls. In any case the neutral start switch is hooked up to the yellow/red stripe wire which goes to the starter solenoid to activate the starter. When the control box is in gear this connection is broken. Hope that explains it.

Dan in TN

johnyrude200

None of the binnacle boxes I have, have the red button at the throttle lever to allow to shift/throttle forward. When you say "pull out on the shift lever, I’m still getting familiar with the binnacle control box and don’t know what you’re talking about.

The one I have is a newer BRP style binnacle, with a single key switch that incorporates the kill switch with a depression type lanyard that goes on the key switch.

It basically looks the same as the mid-90’s OMC style one in configuration, but the two have different physical parts (can’t be pieced together).

There has to be a way to slightly advanced the throttle while in neutral, something that I am not seeing (tonight was my first time putting one together). Or how would we start the motor up if it was throttled way down in neutral and off?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.