Home Forum Ask A Member OMC brand points made in Turkey

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    SCOTT MEYER
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I just got some OMC brand points from Marineengine.com. I was disappointed in the quality. I had to do some tweeting with needle nose pliers to get them squared up and one pair is visually off center by quite a bit. If the original points weren’t pitted so bad I would have cleaned them up and reinstalled them. I noticed "MADE IN TURKEY" on the box and wondered if opium was the root cause of the quality issues 😯 😀 . Seriously, though, I don’t work on these on a daily basis like some here do. I was wondering if anyone else has seen a decline in the quality of these ignition repair parts.

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

There has been a decline in the quality of everything except Chinese and Russian nuclear warheads. Don’t even get me going on state of the US manufacturing base. But that’s a story for dockside chat.

Long live American manufacturing!

Mumbles
        Participant

Turkey has been supplying the points for quite a while now and no, never had an issue with them and I go thru lots of them. Sierra points are the ones that need better quality control.

I thought I had a misaligned set of OMC/BRP points once until I realized the hold down screw wasn’t snugged up yet.

Out of curiosity, how much were your points? My dealer raised their price recently to $18.49 each! It’s time to learn how to make modules!

legendre
          Participant
            quote scotty:

I noticed “MADE IN TURKEY” on the box

Sigh.. if only we could still get them from Japan.. 😯

rmhxruss
            Participant

As of 11/11/2014 BRP 580148 retail $11.99 each. OMC did have points made in West Germany for a time.

jerry-ahrens
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I always buy the tune up kit that comes with 2 sets of points 2 condensers cam wick and clips. part # 172522. Never had any problems with these. Sierra points are terrible.

SCOTT MEYER
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                  quote Mumbles:

Turkey has been supplying the points for quite a while now and no, never had an issue with them and I go thru lots of them. Sierra points are the ones that need better quality control.

I thought I had a misaligned set of OMC/BRP points once until I realized the hold down screw wasn’t snugged up yet.

Out of curiosity, how much were your points? My dealer raised their price recently to $18.49 each! It’s time to learn how to make modules!

$7.69 each for the 580148
                  I don’t normally do repair work for others, but this was for my dad’s fishing buddy. My dad is 83 and his buddy is 90 and a WWII vet so, yeah, this one’s on the house. Maybe I’m being a little more picky because of who I’m doing this for 😉

chris-p
                  Participant

At one time, I bought out a dealer, and he had a box of NOS points from the 50s 60s.

I sold them off for $4 a set. Now I kick myself in the butt. They were very durable.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.