Home Forum Ask A Member OMC built Lawn Boy Mowers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

Any knowledgeable people here that know their Lawn Boys?

OK, I’m a proud owner of a ’59 deck but I think it has a later D series motor bolted on it. Two of the small three spoke wheels on it have bronze bushings inside of them and strike me that they me be original Lawn Boy wheels. Are these wheels original? Did the original plastic wheels have metal bushings inside them? Should I keep them or trash them? I still want to mow my neighbor’s lawn, with some style.

Anonymous

The plastic three spoke wheels where introduced in 1967, and through the years were white ,cream,light green,dark green,mint green,all came with smooth tread. Until the last that did have a tread pattern. A 1959 model should have metal cream painted wheels with plastic bushings. Any white triangle (three spoke) came with out bushings. As the miles pile up the steel axel bolt and wheel center would wear and then the wheel would wobble. The common fix was or is to bore the hole and install a bushing. The later orange painted steel commercial model wheel came with greaseable ball bearings. Is there a model number plate on the mower deck behind the motor?

The Boat House
        Participant

My wife has a friend that is a single mom and is struggling.
          She mentioned to her that she whished she had a snow blower.
          It was explained to me that getting her one was now a priority.
          A friend of a friend was moving south and had one he no longer
          needed. It seem to be in good condition other than needing the
          scraper and paddles replaced. I was really surprised to see it was
          manufactured by OMC. As it turns out it’s seem to be rather
          uncommon and you can’t get anything for it besides the paddles.
          I don’t have a clue as to when these were being sold.
          Would these be the 3 spoke wheels introduced in 67 ?
          It’s also a real pain to work on.

Anonymous

The model 1871 snow blower was built in 1980. The wheels look like the current replacement wheels offered by Toro/Lawn Boy.

wiscoboater
            Participant

Tubs, PLEASE post some pics of that SWEET MOPAR in the background!!!!

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Looks a lot like the little two stroke toro blowers back in the day

The Boat House
                Participant
                  quote fleetwin:

Looks a lot like the little two stroke toro blowers back in the day

Your talking about these.
                  My daughter has 2 and I have 1 electric start and 1 for parts to keep them all going
                  but there isn’t much you can’t still get for these. I was hoping to find another one
                  for this girl but being this Lawn Boy had the electric starter I grabbed it.
                  I really like using this old stuff. Outboards, snow blowers, 40 year old chain saw.
                  I almost bought a reel type mower this spring. It had some off brand motor on it.
                  If I find one with a Clinton or a Briggs and they don’t want stupid money for it I’ll
                  bring it home and use it.

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That looks like the Toro I snapped up out of the neighbor’s trash! The usual carb work and off she went, that was over 10yrs ago. It is amazing what that thing will plow through, can’t handle the piles left in front of the driveway by the city plow though. The war department loves that Toro and won’t let me near it, except to work on it. My brother just bought one like this Toro, except it has a four stroke engine, it is much heavier and tough to maneuver.

Mumbles
                    Participant

Here’s the wheels I was asking about earlier. I’m sure the larger ones are universal replacements but the small ones have the metal bushings in them.

I got the mower back together today after replacing the rings and crank seals. It ran for about five minutes before running out of fuel but I think it’s going to cut grass!

By the way, what are snow blowers?

ddoyle
                      Participant
                        quote :

what are snow blowers?

Contraptions the rest of Canada uses to keep property values with in reach of non millionaires. 😆 sometimes they are found in company of another tool your not likely familiar with "the snow shovel". oh yeah I am bitter and jealous.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 29 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.